Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone bought a 24/47? Bought my son one for Christmas. Nice condition, and he hit everything he shot at.

$129 and a virtually brand new bore.

·
Registered
8,754 Posts
I have one and it's pretty nice. I need to pick up a couple more before they are totally gone.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have two, both are really nice but have canted front sights. I read once that firing pins for those and other intermediate length Mauser were hard to come by, so I checked around. Turns out they are rare so I got a spare.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I have one and the front sight blade is all the way over to the right, but it shoots dead center. I lie it and may aquire another soon.

Nick

·
Registered
8 Posts
I really like mine. It was battle zeroed for about 600 meters when I got it. Put a taller sight on the front and fixed that. Plus you just gotta love that huge fireball.

·
Premium Member
30,670 Posts
when i got mine the bore was BLACK.
i took it home and found that the bore was filled with rust.
after scrubbing /cleaning and even using naval jelly on it i used the electronic bore cleaner.
that bore is ragged.
it shoots fine!
wtf?

i love a happy ending.....

·
Registered
495 Posts
Billy, I am thinking about making an offer on an enfield to fix up because I already have a nice no.4 and want to do a project gun for the hell of it. A friend's dad has it and the bore is kinda ugly right now, but as you say hopefully that won't be an issue for just a fun restore/shooter to toss around. How did you try to clean yours? I can't tell if this one is rusted or just got crap in it.

Anyone know any other 20s-40s guns that are cheap to come across that I could restore wood and outer metal if this doesn't work out? (mausers, mosins, other enfields, anything really)

·
Premium Member
30,670 Posts
Billy, I am thinking about making an offer on an enfield to fix up because I already have a nice no.4 and want to do a project gun for the hell of it. A friend's dad has it and the bore is kinda ugly right now, but as you say hopefully that won't be an issue for just a fun restore/shooter to toss around. How did you try to clean yours? I can't tell if this one is rusted or just got crap in it.

Anyone know any other 20s-40s guns that are cheap to come across that I could restore wood and outer metal if this doesn't work out? (mausers, mosins, other enfields, anything really)
carberator cleaner and one of these

then a patch soaked in this 2 or 3 times DONT GET IT ON THE GUNS FINISH!

then i finished with this.
Making the Surplus: Homade Electronic Bore Cleaner

p.s. i didnt just try to clean it .
i did clean it.
that bore has jagged surfaces.
it will grab a patch.

thanks to pronounced rifling it shoots fine anyway.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Alright. I will see what happens. I think this gentleman is going to let me borrow it anyway, so I will see if I can clean it up to a satisfactory bore before I make an offer. Thanks for your help. Did you have any other fun restore gun suggestions?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts