.257 Remington Ultra Magnum

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by 338RemUltraMag, May 4, 2008.

1. This should make one killer long range deer antelope rifle probably push a 100 gr bullet at 3800 fps with a 29-30 inch barrel. I am serious about building this one but just necking down a 7mm RUM build on a rem 700 action should be a great cheap wild cat, I know there is a 257 hot tamalie sp? but that is built on the STW case, the RUM case is a lot bigger, should result in a faster flatter hotter round

2. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

I would think a larger cal.so you could use heavier bullets.In .25cal you are about limited to 100gr bullets with the 1in 10" twist and flat base 120gr in th 1 in 9 1/4" twist.The .264,s handle 120gr to 140gr with a 1in10"twist.Just my thoughts. sam.

3. well I want something with a really flat trajectory and with a little more advantage over the 7mm the light bullets are the point...

4. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

You lost me with light bullets.There are only three ways to get more range that I know of:increase velocity,cut drag,increase weight/energy.Light bullets in the same cal. have the same drag factor with less energy to resist drag.Drag is 125 times gravity so light bullets with less energy slow down faster than heavy bullets with higher energy. sam.

5. ok 120 gr bullets should do good... right? I just want something with less of an arch than the 7mm

6. Midas

Midas Chief Troll B' Gone Forum Contributor

This is almost as silly as your 223 WSSM AI :D

Last edited: May 4, 2008
  7. I am all about over the top stuff but this one I am serious about just imagine the hydrostatic shock a 120 gr bullet traveling at 3,700 fps would have on a deer

8. Midas

IF something could be done to improve the barrel life on what would be a seriously overbored cartridge, it'd be a fun little long range deer and yote zapper.

9. sell33

sell33 G&G Enthusiast

can you make me one too? and reload them for me? lol

10. Midas

Yes, I would like a rifle, and a set of dies in this caliber, if it gets up and running.

11. well barrel life should be on par with the 223 WSSM and it would not be shot everyday but every couple months about 15 times

and sell33 I will gladly make you one and reload for it if you pay for parts... it would be my honor just let me work the bugs out so I can make everything right

12. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

At that shooting limitation it would have to have emaculate wood and beautiful workmanship and finish. sam.

13. Question

Other than just having something fairly unique is this
    concept really going to give you an advantage in the
    field over established cartridges like the .257 Weatherby?

Note: I do recognize many people have had and still do
    get a great deal of satisfaction from wildcatting.

It just seems to me you are trying to out-Weatherby
    Roy Weatherby. But if this makes you happy then
    go for it.

14. The 7mm rum is only supposed to last about 1000 rounds. Now thats fine if you only do hunting and very little target practise. An even smaller bullet going even faster i imagine the life span of the barrel to be even shorter. But for those first hundred rounds i imagine it would be a pretty flat shooting rifle. Be quite inefficient though.. You could also look at the Lazzeroni Scramjet which offers 3750 fps with 100 gr bullets. This is using a 27 inch barrel. It also comments that barrel life is quite limited and this cartridge should be used only for hunting.

15. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

Only put 1/2 powder charges in.That should double barrel life.Just a personal thought. sam.

I remember years ago reading an article written by a gun whiz that told about a group that had a machine that they could make their own reloading dies.They proceded to make a die that put two shoulders in a cartridge,reducing it down from a normal -06 case and then on down to a smaller neck size.They had a picture of a case with two shoulders.They didn't go any further because they didn't have a rifle chambered for the new casing. While this was a joke,partially,and a demonstration that you could make any kind of die you could dream up,I wish I had the article to send to 338RUM as I believe with his inquisitevness,he could come up with something ingenious with a machine like that.Maybe even something that would work. sam.

Last edited: May 6, 2008
  16. Ron AKA

Ron AKA Guest

The 257 Weatherby is already way up there in barrel burner country.

Index - Cartridge
    604 - 30-30
    752 - 308
    794 - 223 Rem
    969 - 260 Rem
    969 - 6.5-243 WSSM
    1102 - 22-250
    1143 - .243 WSSM
    1165 - 0.243
    1230 - .220 Swift
    1273 - 25-06
    1329 - 300 Weatherby
    1358 - 223 WSSM
    1499 - 264 WM
    1620 - 257 Weatherby
    1746 - 30-378

Ron

17. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

If I wanted to use a certain cartridge,no matter how much the parttime experts yelled "BARREL BURNER",I would get that cartridge and enjoy it as long as it lasted.I wouldnt worry about "BARREL BURNING"until it happened.That is like worrying about dying and never doing the fun things because you may "BURN OUT".Hell yes you will burn out,but you can have a hell of a good time doing it. sam.

18. Ron AKA

Ron AKA Guest

No problem with the concept of burning barrels -- after all I have a .264WM. However, if that is not an obstacle why not just go with a 257 Weatherby and save the wildcat hassle? I doubt that you can get bullets to go much faster than the Weatherby can. I recall it came out pretty close to the top in flattest trajectory -- for good reason -- big case.

Ron

19. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

Ron:You ask 'why'.I never could figure out 'why'.All I know is I wanted to do it and had the bills paid,so I did it.One of my wildcats is a 6.5 Gibbs.It outshoots your Weatherby.You can get about 3300fps+ with your Weat.with a 120gr bullet.I can top 3450 with a 140gr .264.Mine will fly faster and flatter than the Weath.At 800yds I killed a paper target with a 6" bull verry dead.The problem is I just got tired of it.I spent a lot of money and never figured why I wanted to do it,except it would have bugged me forever if I hadnt.A lot of people shoot more rounds than I do,but they are more sane than me. sam.

20. Palladin8

Palladin8 G&G Evangelist

lol sam. I agree sometimes you have to do it so you can say I did it.