Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve been rifle hunting since I was 10 years old; I started off with a 30-30 Winchester and moved up to the Remington 30.06, taking big bucks and Elk in the process.
20 years later I switched over to Muzzleloaders, and I love the !!!! out of that!
While I hunt, in Western Washington State with black powder, I am planning on doing some Antelope, Mule deer and Whitetail hunting in the Eastern part of the state as well as other game in the SW States.
I have been looking at purchasing the .257 Weatherby to do my “extracurricular†hunting with.
I know that the .257 was Roy Weatherby’s personal favorite caliber, in fact, He used a 100gr Partition to kill everything in North America, and almost everything in Africa, including a Cape Buffalo! (no easy task, although he didn’t recommend anyone else try it).
I’m more interested in the “surgical†shot placement on my hunts, rather than the brute force knockdown powers of the larger calibers.
I’ve seen Weatherby’s video of them dropping Elk at 800 yards with the .338-378, seriously impressive, but not for me.
I’m looking at the .257 Vanguard Stainless/Synthetic with fluted barrel.
So what are your guys’ opinions? Good caliber? Not enough?
:feedback:

·
Registered
586 Posts
With the new permium bullets now avalible many smaller calibers become capable of taking larger game than before. The .257 Wby was always considered "enough" for the game you mentioned. The use of(I like the Barnes TSX) premium bullets in this case is to prevent bullet blowup on closer shots, rather than taking larger game with it. A friend of mine has taken caribou, black bear, mule deer, whitetail, antelope, and Feral hogs with a .257 STW which is slightly hotter than the Wby but could be considered a ballistic twin. With Partition bullets only two required a second shot, one of the black bears & one hog. With the change to Barnes TSX 100grs, all one shot each so far. I'd say get the Weatherby and enjoy.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts