Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Not that I know of.
The .264 got off with a bad start. It was powerful but had problems with throat erosion. Some say the barrel could be ruined in as little as 10 rounds.
Winchester changed the powder and fixed the problem but the damage was already done. It didnt sell.
My brother has one I've shot many times. Ammo is very scarce and expensive.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I know a guy with a 264, and it is a good white tail round. That being said, when it first came out, it got a reputataion as a barrell burner, so it never really got off the ground. As Snakebite said, ammo is hard to come by, and you pay a premium for it.

·
Registered
83 Posts
the 264 mag is all but dead

hello all

as far as i can tell there are no rifles in production in this caliber anymore, the two it was chambered in were the rem 700 and the winchester 70 "westerner" as the other replys mentioned and they covered most of what can be said for the 264 mag, it also had a reputation for being very high loud upon firing, the only thing else i know is it can be formed from 458 win mag cases, it is considered to be a fine ultra velocity cartridge and ballisticly superior to the 270 win( cartridges of the world 10th edition pg #37), the 264 has a velocity range from an 85 gr bullet at 3800+ fps to the 160 gr bullet at 2700 fps very impressive!!! as well as the wonderful ballistic coefficiant of the .264 (6.5mm) bullet, unfortunately none of these attribute saved it from obsolescence >> hope this helps your friend t53joe

·
Chief Troll B' Gone
4,625 Posts
The .264 Win Mag is an excellent cartridge, its a shame it isn't more popular

·
Registered
83 Posts
264 not dead??

The .264 Win Mag is an excellent cartridge, its a shame it isn't more popular
i never heard of the "sendero" before?, yes 338 it is a shame its not more popular, the .264 dia(6.5mm) bullet is excellent in many ways and to be launched at such a hyper velocity is just plain awesome!!, what i meant by obsolete in my other reply was from the point of view of caliber, 6.5 mm cartridges never took off very big in the USA and thats a sad shame, take for instance others like the 6.5x55sm(this one is the exception in some ways it is marginally popular) also the 6.5 rem mag and the 6.5x54 mannlicher shoenauer they are all excellent but never got too far, the carcano rifle got a bad rep and thus the cartridge followed along, if the 264 rem mag was more popular and rifles in it were not so expensive it would be my choice in a magnum >> your friend joe

·
Registered
9 Posts
I think the 264 is a GREAT round. The 7mm kiilled it. Any gun shop can get ammo for the 264. Winchester makes 1 load, a 140 gr. If you don't handload Superior Ammo will custom load any caliber you want for about $55.00 per box (20). There are alot of 6.5mm bullets out there. I believe Rem. still makes 264 rifles. Go on gunbroker or gunsamerica and put "264" in the search box. You'll be surprised.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts