Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to purchase a .270 and right now its between a mossberg or savage.In your opinion which of the two is more accurate and overall a better .270?

·
Registered
10,770 Posts
Savage

The accu -trigger makes the Savage real accurate. Some friends have a .308 with a bull barrel and clover leafs at 100 yds.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I feel that the savage is the better gun. I own two of them and have never felt like I made a wrong choice.
Savage has come along way with there trigger system.(acu triger), Which I think is a true marvel in shooting.
As far as accuracy is concerned, I have never known a Savage not to be a nail driver right out of the box.
Both of mine will shoot a 2" group at 300 yards. The cold barel shot is within 0.5" off bull at 300 yards.
As far as I am concerned the choice is simple. Savage.

·
Registered
8,754 Posts
Another vote for Savage. They are a great deal for the money.

·
Banned
1,236 Posts
Mossberg Centerfire Rifles tend not to stay on the open market vary long.I've seen them come and go before and now parts are hard to find.A Savage Rifle will never win a beauty contest,"yes I've seen custom Savages",but they sure will shoot an exceptional print."In my opinion"Savage has the tightest chambers,and the most consistent bores that any box Rifle has.

·
Registered
20,562 Posts
12point You've received some great advice here, looks like the Savage wins out. The Mossberg is to new right now and there doesn't seem to be enough reports circulating about the Mossbergs...One of my concerns is the Bolt, it's tube stock and the ends are solidered on. I don't know much about that, but will they hold up...mossey's are a good looking rifle, but I'd go with a sure thing and choose the Savage...Just my thoughts...A.H

·
Registered
15,235 Posts
It was only a few short years I heard and read the same coments about Savage I am hearing and reading about Mossburg rifles.In the past gun editors seldom gave savage a favorible rating against Sako,Rem.,Win.,and such even tho usually the Savage was the most accurate.We will just have to wait and see how Mossburg turns out. samuel.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Firearm Picture

I have no experience with Mossy but they seem to be lightweight and with 1-10 rifling should be accurate. I guess if you go with Mossy you will have somethig most hunters dont have. This is the 30-06 mossy that weighs 7 pounds.

·
Registered
11,922 Posts
I have read excellent reports about the new Mossberg rifle's accuracy. If accuracy is the only attribute you're paying attention to, then Savage it is.

If you look very very closely at the bolts of Mossberg vs Savage and compare them to Remingtons, Brownings, and Weatherbies (oh my), you'll actually find them to be a bit similar. The separate bolt head from body is a cost saving measure that in this case breeds excellent accuracy.

If Savages are better in every measurable objective way, then by all means buy them. But if everyone waits for "someone else" to buy a Mossberg, you'll miss your chance and the prices will only go up.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts