Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As youall may or may not know I just recently got into reloading. I have noticed some of you guys posting on results of different bullets, loads, and the such for different callibers.
I thought in my search for a hunting round to use in my .270 for the upcomeing deer season, I might help some other up and comeing reloaders by testing different powders.

All the following loads were used useing once fired Remington brass all trimmed a length of 2.54. Were debured and chamfered, and all primer pocket's were cleaned. And were tumbled to a like new shine. CCI 200 primers were used.

The following loads were built with Nosler 130 grain Ballistic tip bullets seated to an OAL of 3.3 which set the bullet .010 of the lands in my Ruger M77 MII rifle from which all were tested in. This is a factory rifle, no trigger job, glass bedding, nothing. The best grouping I ever got from the gun useing my former hunting round of 130 grain Remington core-lock's was 1 1/2"@100yd's. It is scoped with a Nikon Busmasters 4.5-14x40 on factory Ruger rings. I am by far no marks man, but with a good rest I am capable of 1/2" groups at 100. On the day I did this testing I has a sligh cross wind gusting up to 5 MPH. so groups could have been better if not for that. All groups were three shot groups. I waited for the barrel to cool inbetween groups to simulate a proper hunting cenario.

The first powder used was IMR 4831
51.4 grains yeilded a 1 5/8 group, recoil wasn't bad. neither was the muzzle report.
53.2 grains yeilded a bit less accuracy.
Neither round showed sighns of pressure.

H4831SC yeilded the best results, no pressure sighns. low recoil. and resonable muzzle report.
55.0 grains showed up at 1 1/4" group
57.0 grains was a bit better at a little under 7/8"

RL22 performed horribly for me, recoil was ruff, loud muzzle report. and poor groupings.
55.0 grains led to shots on and off the tagret.
57.0 grains showed shighs of high pressure. and groupings weren't any better.

8208XBR Wasn't much better. had an odd muzzle report. groupings weren't good. and with even light loads showed sighns of high pressure.

43.0 grains grouped at 2.25" the third round fired split the neck of the case. testing with this powder come to an abrupt hault.

The next round was built useing the same prepared cases, but used a 130 grain Hornady SP seated to a OAL of 3.16.

Trailboss was selected useing a recipe from Hodgdons loading manual.
11.0 grains gave a advertised velocity of +/-1300fps. It gave me a grouping of 2" at 100. and shot 9" low to the rounds used earlier. It was also pushed by the wind.
I then moved the target closer to 50 yards and got a 1" group at about 3-4" low. This round gives a muzzle report of a .22 mag. My dad even asked why I was shooting his .22 mag. lol! This round would be good for youth when hunting in locations where shots won't be over 50 yards. Or the neighbors cat. LOL!

I have since tested the round of 57.0 grains of H4831SC and got a 1 inch group with 2 rounds nearly touching. This is the round I have selected to hunt with. I may tinker a bit with seating depth. But for a hunting round I think it will suffice.

This test was to show how much of a difference powders make in your guns. But the results I found may not be your findings. Alot of this has to do with barrel length and bullet seating depth. And it is worth experimenting with. But under no circumstances should the begining reloader use these loads without consulting a reloading manual and checking for proper bullet seating depth for their gun!

·
Registered
36,568 Posts
Hmmm, didn't use either of the two powders I have used in .270. H414 and H4895.

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
My son has a Rem .280 ,I've bought him the dies, case trimmer, speer 130grn bullets and a pound of H414 I'll pick up brass soon as he has just returned from Afganistan and ammo was a little hard to get before he left. I really liked the H 414 for my .308 with the 168 grn hpbt and hope it works good for him.when he finds out this month.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I thought you might say something about that ganny. I have never seen H414 around here. And H4895 has been hard to find. I will try them and update asap. But it is gonna be hard to sway me from the 4831SC right now.

·
Registered
36,568 Posts
Just got 8 pound jug of H4895. Graf And Sons.

·
Registered
15,235 Posts
I'm proud of you.Keep testing,and reporting. (I like 140gr bullets and slower powders like IMR-H4350 or 4831.)(Have best results with .270win by staying close to max loads.) ,,,sam.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yea sam, I'm thinking of working up closer to max with the H4831SC. But for a hunting round I'd rather not push it too much and over work my cases. No real need in it. Plus shots will be kept to arout 200 yards anyway. No real need for an extra 100-200fps.
My next experiments will be with 150 or 160 grain Nosler Partition's.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
I have been reloading my 270's for over 40 years with 57gr of H-4831 and CCI 250 primers. It has always worked well for me in several rifles I have owned over the years. Jack O'connor used 60 gr of H-4831, but I never liked to compress the pwder that much.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My m77 mkii preformed the same (but in 7mm rem mag). I floated the barrel now it is shooting 3 shot groups of 1/2 at 100 yds. Space the groups by 10 min to let the tube cool. If you fold a dollar bill in half, wrap it around the barrel and pull it to the action. It should go to the action with no prob. If not float the barrel.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts