Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I have been looking at a rifle in my local gunstore and i like the look of it and it is a very nice price. It is a tikka t3 hunter in good condition. The only problem is that it is in .270 and i have no experience with this caliber at all.

• If you guys could tell me how this caliber shoots? ie. flat, distance etc.
  • How available is ammunition?
  • What sort of animal is this round capable of taking down easily - i am looking at shooting wild pigs and deer.
Let me know your thoughts,

Thanks guys....

Lachlan

·
Registered
740 Posts
The .270 is a 30-06 necked down to .270. It's ideal for deer and pigs. In the USA it is one of the most common ammo on the shelf. Tikka is a fine high powered rifle. Some prefer the .270 over the 30-06 because the recoil is less.

·
Registered
11,239 Posts
It will . . .

. . .definitely do deer and pigs. This is a very well established cartridge and will not disappear from your dealer's shelves. It is most popular in
a factory loaded 130 grain bullet.

·
Registered
11,239 Posts
Not established as a target round

The .270 Winchester has never developed a reputation on the
target competition scene. That does not mean it is not perfectly
adequate for hunting - it is just not a competitive target round.

Browning has the BOSS system of using a moveable weight at the end of
the barrel to bring greater accuracy to rounds such as the .270 Winchester. You might wish to go to the Browning web site to begin a study of this type device.

Also, some people prefer heavier weight barrels as a aid to increased accuracy.

But, realistically, a .270 was designed for hunting and it is well proven in
that role. In a rifle of the quality you mention you should
have no accuracy dissatisfaction.

·
Resident Sasquatch
9,496 Posts
.270 is a fine round for varmints all the way up to large deer and elk. Available bullet weights range fron 90 gr. up to 160 gr., but the most common in factory ammo are the 130 and 150 gr. I just got a Win. Mod. 70 a few weeks ago and it shoots very well using 130 gr. Rem Corelokt handloads.

·
Banned
704 Posts
The 270 Winchester is a great cartridge, and probably ideal for what you plan to hunt. See a bit of information on it here:

Gunnersden.com/Rifles/270 Winchester

As far as using it for target shooting, there is no reason why you cannot use a 270. The accuracy is not determined by the cartridge, but much more by the quality of the gun, the type of barrel, the chamber fit, and the quality of the ammunition. RCBS for example makes competition dies for the 270.

https://shop.rcbs.com/WebConnect/,D...nlabel=index&productId=1340&route=C09J048N142

Ron

·
Banned
623 Posts
No less than the "old school" dean of writing about hunting, Jack O'Conner and the "new school" dean, Craig Boddington have proclaimed the .270 Winchester as good as it gets for deer hunting. I'd think that's all most would ever need to know, to select it as a premium choice among all calibers. It has a MPBR for deer sized game of right at 300yds for the 130gr and around 290yds in 150gr loadings. Most researchers place it in the top 3 or 4 of most popular high powered rifle rounds, due to ammo sales and reloading supply sales. I've owned a T-3 and it is a fine rifle. Good Luck!

·
Registered
899 Posts
It would suit your needs idealy. I can't offer anymore than what has already been posted about the .270, if you like the rifle and it shoots well I doubt you will be unhappy with it. As was said they are firmly established and very popular, ammo availability is no problem.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Can you tell me if this round is good for target shooting?
I target shoot my .270. The biggest problem with it is .270 ammo is pretty expensive. If you reload your own shells, it will keep the cost down, but I can't do that, so I don't go target shooting very often. (On the other hand, I'm also a poor college student, so my idea of "pretty expensive" might be different from yours. But just keep the price in consideration when looking to buy a gun primarily for target shooting.)

·
Registered
741 Posts
The .270 is as accurate as any other hunting caliber. Your individual rifle and skill level will determine your target shooting success much more than your choice of caliber. (There is probably no such thing as an inaccurate cartridge, but there are a lot of inaccurate rifles and shooters.) You will probably find that bullets specifically designed for target shooting are hard to find in .270, but hunting bullets punch paper quite well.

·
Chief Troll B' Gone
4,625 Posts
The .270 is a dandy cartridge, and will handle hogs and deer without too much trouble.

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
depends what you consider "target" shooting. you will not easily find match grade ammunition or bullets in 27cal.

·
Registered
8,031 Posts
I was brass-scrounging yesterday and found an unfired 270 Win. round. It's a FMJ, with a yellow tip, looks like my 7.62x54R Bulgarian heavy ball. What's the yellow tip signify? I assumed a hunting round would have a soft lead tip or a hollow point.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I was brass-scrounging yesterday and found an unfired 270 Win. round. It's a FMJ, with a yellow tip, looks like my 7.62x54R Bulgarian heavy ball. What's the yellow tip signify? I assumed a hunting round would have a soft lead tip or a hollow point.
**Shakes head as if bewhildered**

The yellow tip is the Nosler .277 designation for a Ballistic Tip round. I have no idea who or how many load these as factory loads.

As to the OP, buy the .270 Tikka, and shoot 130s at deer sized game, and 150s at larger game...they'll die if you put the bullet in the boiler room.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
personally i wouldnt buy one. id go for the '06. but thats just me. and i've had no personal experience with the 270. a guy i know hunted with one and always made pretty clean kills on deer with it. he was a good shooter and hunter too though. but theres also some guys close to where i hunt that shoot 270s and lose a lot of deer. (by alot i mean 2 or 3 a year for 5 or 6 guys). but thats probably the hunters not the guns or cartridges. i've heard some people say that the 270 is too fast for short ranges. that the bullet doesnt spend enough time in the animals body to expand enough to be efficient. but like i said ive never owned or hunted with one. i prefer a heavier bullet than whats available for the 270. like the 180 grainers i shoot in me 30-06 rather than a 130 or so. id say buy it and if you dont like it sell it and get something different.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts