Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the second and last rifle I need help identifying. Thanks for the help! Also, if anybody knows, something appears to be missing or wrong with the bolt on the back. I could be wrong. Any ideas?

Attachments

·
Registered
8,464 Posts
Any type of numbers or markings not visible in the pictures would help. It's likely someone else here will have a idea as to what you have there.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I searched both rifles I’m trying to identify but did not see any markings. I’ll double check and get back.

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
This is the second and last rifle I need help identifying. Thanks for the help! Also, if anybody knows, something appears to be missing or wrong with the bolt on the back. I could be wrong. Any ideas?
looks like a jap arisaka rifle to me ! the markings should be on the front of the receiver,on the top

·
Premium Member
9,896 Posts
Yeah you have a Japanese Arisaka rifle. Your rear round safety is missing from the back bolt. It is pressed and turned by the palm of the hand. Also you are missing the whole rear sight. You can find both parts but costly for the sight. Should have Japanese writing on side of rifle even though the mum is scrubbed off of receiver. The Japanese writing on side will tell you the Arsenal as it was a few and also if it is a type 99 or 38. 7.7 05 6.5 MM

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
the part that is missing is the safety knob, and the firing pin and spring ! I have a 1941 arisaka type 99 View attachment 153434
Yeah you have a Japanese Arisaka rifle. Your rear round safety is missing from the back bolt. It is pressed and turned by the palm of the hand. Also you are missing the whole rear sight. You can find both parts but costly for the sight. Should have Japanese writing on side of rifle even though the mum is scrubbed off of receiver. The Japanese writing on side will tell you the Arsenal as it was a few and also if it is a type 99 or 38. 7.7 05 6.5 MM
I have a extra rear sight for the ariisaka type 99

·
Premium Member
9,896 Posts
I did not find the Japanese markings, but found a few numbers on the side. Wow, I’m blown back at how many people stepped in to help. Truly thanks!
That pic is the serial number. To the right of it is the two symbols. Looks like a circle with three ears and to the right of it is the other circle with two slashes. That symbol is for made in the Toyo Kogyo Arsenal 1939-1946. That is where yours was made and what years. If you look at the link i sent you above it has everything that is on these rifles and explains it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Awesome, thanks! I will def research it now, and try to piece the rifle back together.

One more question while I have the opportunity. It may be because parts are missing, but the bolt will not lift up and slide back at all, as if it’s stuck or locked. Is there some trick to it, or is it just because I’m missing pieces? If that’s the case, how would I take it apart in order to replace the missing pieces? It’ll wobble a bit but will not lift up and slide back like normal.

·
Premium Member
9,896 Posts
Awesome, thanks! I will def research it now, and try to piece the rifle back together.

One more question while I have the opportunity. It may be because parts are missing, but the bolt will not lift up and slide back at all, as if it’s stuck or locked. Is there some trick to it, or is it just because I’m missing pieces? If that’s the case, how would I take it apart in order to replace the missing pieces? It’ll wobble a bit but will not lift up and slide back like normal.
Its because the safety is missing. It has a position that when turned locks it to not fire and bolt wont rotate. You can somehow get it to turn but I would have to do it in person.

·
Premium Member
9,896 Posts
I cant remember without grabbing one of mine if the safety is pushed and turned to left or right to take safety off. Mine are packed in back of a safe

1 - 20 of 25 Posts