3 die sets/ straight walled cases

Discussion in 'General Reloading' started by travisg96, Sep 20, 2010.

1. Ok, I do not want to sound stupid, but here it goes. I have loaded plenty of .308, 7x56, 8x57 rounds. I have never reloaded anything that required a 3 die set. I am looking for the correct way to set the dies.

Die 1: I assume it is just like any other case sizing die and you set it to the top of the ram at full stroke plus 1/2 to 1 turn.

Die 2: Do I set this to the same depth as die 1? Do I use the adjustment in the die to determine the amount of flare the case gets? How much do I want to flare the case for cast bullets, for jacketed bullets.

Die 3: This is a seating and crimp die. So I can just use a factory round to adjust the depth that it seats the bullet. According to the RCBS instructions I can't adjust the amount of crimp. Do I really want that much crimp on a cast bullet? on a jacketed bullet?

I suppose on the plus side of this is that if the cases came out of my gun they should fit back into it. My first attempt at this I belled the case mouth about 1/4". Is this to much? will the crimp hold the bullet in place? They didn't fall out when I turned them upside down and shook them.

Any advice on setting this up and getting me started on this would be appreciated.

2. SwedeSteve

SwedeSteve Freedom Zealot Forum Contributor

Thanks for posting that Sam !! It saved me a BUNCH of typing with two fingers !! You're a good man !!

3. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

^If you can use two fingers typing you are twice the man I am!

4. SwedeSteve

Sometimes I can get three going at the same time, lol !!

5. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

I can use one on each hand,but not at the same time.

6. SwedeSteve

^ LOL !! I am working with some speech recognition software to do away with typing altogether.

7. WyrTwister

WyrTwister G&G Newbie

Consider the Lee carbide sizing die . Do not have to lube the case . Or remove the lube after it has been sized .

God bless
    Wyr

8. Ok, this is how this set of dies works.

Die #1 re sizes and decappes the shell.

Die #2 expands and bells the case mouth.

Die #3 seats and crimps the bullet.

So I wonder if I want the case fire formed I just need to decap the shell and then run it through the belling die to expand the case neck and bell the case.

9. WyrTwister

WyrTwister G&G Newbie

Forgive me , I forgot what caliber you were loading ?

What you are asking might work . Probably not . Or probably would not work well .

Take a new bullet & see how tightly it fits , if you try to slide it into the mouth of the fired brass ? My guess is it will be too loose to hold the bullet securely ? You will have to resize the fired brass , some to achieve this . And on handgun ammo , you may as well resize it all the way .

The second issue , if you did what you are asking , how well would it feed ? Too tight ?

And if for a wheel gun , bear in mind , each cylinder chamber may be a little different size than the rest ?

My suggestion is FL resize handgun brass .

God bless
    Wyr