Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Resident Sasquatch
9,496 Posts
It's big enough to kill anything on this continent if you can put it where you want it. If you are just after whitetails, it's pretty much overkill.

·
Resident Sasquatch
9,496 Posts
I just saw a 260 lb. whitetail buck that an 11 yr. old boy killed with a 90 gr. Speer s.p. out of a .243 @ 95 yds. I shot a huge doe last year with a 204 gr. Barnaul s.p. in my M-44 because it was all I had, but I'd much rather use one of my 150 gr. handloads.

·
Resident Sasquatch
9,496 Posts
how much meat got piled up or was it a clean shot?
It was a clean shot, liquefied both lungs @ 185 yds. I was just very nervous about using an unknown bullet at that distance on live game.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
good for you, a friend was out last fall and took a doe. he was off a little with his shot and lost a lot of meat cause of it. i dont remember what he was shooting but i think it was his mosin.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Alright, thanks guys. All ive seen in colorado; white tail and moose, ive only seen 1 bear while I was fishing, it took a mans fish (on a chain in the water) and ran off.

150gr it is. I did not know a 220 would rip it up that much.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Alright, thanks guys. All ive seen in colorado; white tail and moose, ive only seen 1 bear while I was fishing, it took a mans fish (on a chain in the water) and ran off.

150gr it is. I did not know a 220 would rip it up that much.
Good choice on the grain, now choosing between ballistic tip, hollow point, bonded, core-loct, etc. LOL
Wish I could have seen that bear grab the fish, that would have been a riot. We have Loons that steal our fish off the line but a bear would be better (as far as humour goes).

·
Registered
606 Posts
Good choice on the grain, now choosing between ballistic tip, hollow point, bonded, core-loct, etc. LOL
Wish I could have seen that bear grab the fish, that would have been a riot. We have Loons that steal our fish off the line but a bear would be better (as far as humour goes).
Ya my friend said that when he went camping one time they had some fish on a stringer in the water. When they woke up one of the fish was half gone and bear tracks where all around it. The prob was the stringer was only feet away from the tent!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Damn, I would have woke up.. rasterman, what would you say I should you? I only had soft tip rounds. Thanks

As far as that bear, my heart dropped, the thing was HUGE, I never thought they could be that big. the guy next to me says "that a little un".

·
Registered
297 Posts
Damn, I would have woke up.. rasterman, what would you say I should you? I only had soft tip rounds. Thanks

As far as that bear, my heart dropped, the thing was HUGE, I never thought they could be that big. the guy next to me says "that a little un".
They will all work for deer but because of the thin skin I usually use a rapid expansion bullet like the Hornady SST or Federal Fusion.

·
Registered
202 Posts
30-06 for deer

I have taken lots of big deer and even #200:scool:hogs with a .22-250. just make a clean shot.

just another comment, with todays "managed recoil" ammo, anyone can shoot a large caliber like the '06 and not get recoil shy. my girlfriend shoots mine with Remington managed recoil and she dont mind it at all. if you go for bigger game, load up with standard ammo and you wont notice the difference in ballistics til you are beyond 200 yards.

·
Registered
11,918 Posts
There is nothing wrong with using 220gr on deer if you like them. The explosive "ripping up" is related to bullet diameter, speed, and shape, not really weight when all other things are equal. A 220gr 30-06, unless it undergoes much more expansion, won't destroy more meat than a 150, in fact it may destroy even less meat due to its lower velocity while retaining more energy and penetrating further due to weight.

The overpenatration issue is correct though. I know someone who shot two deer in one shot from a 30-30. That may be a fair comparison, 150gr round nose through a doe and 220gr round nose through a buck. Overpenetration shouldn't be something you worry about too much considering you should always know what is behind your target.

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
220grain bullets are a poor choice for deer sized animals. they have heavier construction made for use on animals like elk,moose, and the larger bears. they will not reliably expand in a whitetailed deer. the 150-180gr bullets will give much better results.

·
Registered
17,218 Posts
I only use 150 grain rounds for whitetail deer. It's all about placement, though.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts