close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

30-06 or 7.62 (.308)

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by LOBO, May 2, 2002.

1. LOBO

LOBO G&G Newbie

Any way I will soon be going to the CMP shoot to qualify to get a M1.
    Has anyone converted your M1 to the .308/7.62 Nato?
    Or should I just get the VAR barreled Danish one and say the $300. for a .308 conversion buys alot of 30-06 ammo?

2. BattleRifleG3

BattleRifleG3 G&G Evangelist

I'd stick with 30-06. Much more true to the history of the Garand. Can also take legally available AP ammo. Least expensive 30-06 I've bought is $0.30 a round, meaning 1k rounds for 300. Maybe you can save some by reloading, whereas 7.62 NATO costs less than reloading. Sure it'll kick a little more, but that's part of the heritage.

3. TKH

TKH G&G Newbie

The problem is $300.00 doesn't buy a lot of 30.06 ammo anymore. One suggestion I got when I asked this question some time back that made sense is this: buy a parts kit, a receiver, and then put a .308 barrel on it. I'm in the process of doing that, just don't have it complete yet.

4. Armorer

Armorer Guest

Talon Sells 250rds in a can for $65. That's 26 cents a round. That's 1000rds for $260. 147gr Mil ball.

(A) I don't know if you can get 308 that cheap.
    (B) The .06 round is much better for reaching out.
    (C) If it ain't broke..... DON'T FIX IT!!!!

5. My Garand is in .308 and I bought 1000 rounds for $89.00

6. BattleRifleG3

Congrats on a good ammo buy. I usually pay around $35 per 200 rds of 308. I once bought 500 for $45, but it was chilean junk that was dirty and misfired often.

7. TKH

TKH G&G Newbie

I have 2 Garands in '06 and love them. I also have a parts kit and a receiver doing nothing, so the idea of a .308 barrel seemed like a good one. I buy .308 for 89.00/1000 to feed my HK 91's. I love to shoot the Garand, and being able to do it for nearly 1/3 the price seemed like a good idea. No, not original but thats not the point! If I could figure out how, I'd love to make one in 7.62 x 39. (now that should make some of you scream!)

Lobo, when in doubt, do the simplest thing. Get one of each!

8. BattleRifleG3

In 7.62x39mm? It's called a Mini-30. And Ruger had plans to switch it to fixed mag after getting a stricter assault weapon ban through in order to corner the market. It basically would have been a lot like the M1, just different calibers. And for very wrong reasons.

9. TKH

TKH G&G Newbie

I've had a Mini-30, and while the quality (accuracy) is NOT comparable to a Garand, it is a fun gun! I have an old magazine ad that shows the Mini in .308, now that would have been something.

10. LOBO

LOBO G&G Newbie

Yea I remember it was the Ruger XGI.
    Too bad the Ruger Minis are pushing $600.00 now. Thats on of the reasons I want a M1 Garand as they still are $400 to $500. from CMP.

11. Armorer

Armorer Guest

12. WyrTwister

WyrTwister G&G Newbie

I heard that for some reason , they could not get it to work .

Wyr
    God Bless

13. hipshooter

hipshooter G&G Newbie

ohio
    hey TKH where are you getting youre 308 ammo at for 89.00/1000? the cheapest ive found is 130./1000. thanks