30 cal carbine

Discussion in 'Pistol Carbines' started by g1contender, Aug 13, 2010.

1. g1contender

g1contender G&G Newbie

i have a blackhawk, 30 cal carbine. how popular are they? i get funny looks at the range :boggled:

2. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

They are more of a Ruger collectors piece now...I have one that is unfired.

3. M14man

M14man I don't take prisoners... Forum Contributor

I have one also. Sure throws a flame! I have extraction difficulties with mine, and even sent it back to Ruger. There 'fix' did not really help.
    Still it is a real blast to shoot. They are not too common. Not a rarity, but I have seen only a handful at the ranges.

4. okami515

okami515 G&G Regular

I enjoy mine, though I have never really noticed the flame throwing aspect of it.

5. M14man

M14man I don't take prisoners... Forum Contributor

Do you have extraction problems?

6. Mmmm,

not very popular as this was one of those ideas that might have taken off but did not really get very far in the marketplace.

Back in the day, so to speak, there was a lot of inexpensive ammo for this gun.

7. okami515

okami515 G&G Regular

no extraction problems. you may have a over sized chamber or two in the cylinder that could be causeing your problems.

8. Try shooting it deep into the sunset when it's getting dim, you'll notice the flame spoke about before about 16" of it LOL They were fun to shoot.

9. Had trouble with extraction with mine but my gunsmith honed the chambers and never had any trouble since.

DANA

Rave likes this.
  10. Never shot the Blackhawk, but I have shot the .30Carbine AutoMag. That was a Hoot to Shoot! LOL I really enjoyed that AutoMag.

11. 22plinker

22plinker G&G Addict

Extraction problems?

Sometimes an extraction problem is because the breech finish is rough or "too coarse" so the brass becomes stuck. Polishing will help & can't hurt, if you do it carefully. BonAmi (for cleaning kitchen sinks?) works quite well. Take a small wooden dowel (or wood pencil), carefully cut a slot in one end, then slip a scrap of an old T-shirt material, into the slot. Use a piece of material about 1 to 1-1/2" (or slightly larger) into the slot. wrap the cloth around the dowel, wet the cloth with WD40 or gun solvent (your choice) then wipe a small amount of the BonAmi powder on the cloth. Carefully insert the twisted cloth/dowel/BonAmi into the breech, then spin it with a cordless drill. The idea is, to polish the breech, so the brass doesn't get stuck on the rough surface of the breech. Look carefully at the finish, before you start polishing. It will take several (or many?) times, polishing, but you will see the difference, if you stick with it. Avoid using something like valve grinding compound as it is too agressive (abrasive) to use in a bun bore. You can make a breech really shine this way. And, it works great on the feed ramp too. Clean carefully, when you think you are done. Make sure you don't leave any polishing residue anywhere, in you gun!

12. .30 Cal carbines are fun to shoot. Blackhawks are good

13. Gray Wolf

Gray Wolf G&G Evangelist

Phoenix
    Noisy revolver! I traded for one, and got rid of it pretty quick.

14. .22guy

.22guy G&G Enthusiast

Always wanted one of these, but there are so many others I want more.

15. jack007

jack007 G&G Addict

I had one years ago and wish I had kept it.