Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For a while now, I have been buying what I can find of 30 Carbine ammunition. I have empty brass for reloading, that's not the problem.

Unless its on Gunbroker for jacked up prices, it seems that its just kinda dried up. No one has it in stock, and I have been looking. Used to find it off and on, even during Covid.
But now, its all out of stock.

I mean, I can find all the common calibers currently, even the once elusive 300 Blackout.

30 Carbine factory ammo just is gone. Has anyone else seen this?

·
Premium Member
10,355 Posts
I just had an email today with ammo for sale. May have been RTI. It was 1958 production boxes of 50. Cant recall the price of each. Now and then I the PPU 30 carbine pop up for sale. I just went back to my email and it is Royal Tiger Imports that have the military 30 Carbine ammo. It will go fast. 50 Round boxes for $34.50

·
Registered
7 Posts
One of the two gun clubs near me seems to always have 30 Carbine ammo. For $25/box. Aguila, is what they have. They put on 3-4 “service rifle” matches a year. They always have that same ammo for sale. I don’t know if they bought tons of the stuff or what? And I’m sure it will eventually run “low!”
But for the past 8-10 years (most recently, 3months ago), they have all that you want…no limit! It is for club members only.

·
Registered
6,196 Posts
Im just guessing, but with the ammo.."Crunch" over the last few years, ammo mfg's have had to prioritize production. .30 carbine isnt likely a high volume sales or hot ticket item as of late, so they are focusing production on the stuff that is in high demand.

.30 carbine is likely not in high demand so they havent been spending resources producing it is my guess.

to all those who say " if you reloaded you wouldnt have this problem" or " just drive up to cmp and get all you want"

thats not helpful to people that either dont live close enough to do that, or arent able to reload for whatever reason.

yes we know that reloading can help negate ammo shortages.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
35,906 Posts
My local gun shop sells it in 50 round plastic bags, brass case, for about $30 a bag. Think the next time I go over there, I'll pick some up. I do have a civilian Plainfield Machine Company carbine that I picked up for cheap years back because collectors sneered at the civilian production models then.

I'd be happy with the commonest Inland Division, if I could find one at an affordable price. I'd love any genuine military model, but the ones turning up at the local gun shops are priced high and look like they were run over by a tank and then dragged down a gravel road behind a truck for 20 miles. Don't know what the source is, but I would not be surprised to learn it's Royal Tiger Imports.

Reactions: neophyte

·
Registered
22,418 Posts
My local gun shop sells it in 50 round plastic bags, brass case, for about $30 a bag. Think the next time I go over there, I'll pick some up. I do have a civilian Plainfield Machine Company carbine that I picked up for cheap years back because collectors sneered at the civilian production models then.

I'd be happy with the commonest Inland Division, if I could find one at an affordable price. I'd love any genuine military model, but the ones turning up at the local gun shops are priced high and look like they were run over by a tank and then dragged down a gravel road behind a truck for 20 miles. Don't know what the source is, but I would not be surprised to learn it's Royal Tiger Imports.
I had two really nice ones in here in the winter, sold them at a good profit, and now I can't find a replacement that isn't more than what I sold those for.

·
Registered
6,196 Posts
guys, and gals, whats happening has always been happening, over time, as things become less common( milsurps) and costs rise( ammo) things just get more and more expensive, sure there are times where prices pull back, but rarely do they go down to or below whatever the last low water mark was. the only difference is its been exponentially accelerated in the last few years.

if you have or can get something you want, get it now and save it, chances are the longer you wait the more expensive or less available said item will be.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts