.30 Carbine Cartridge History

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by savageT, Jun 14, 2002.

1. savageT

savageT Guest

Always loved the .30 M1 and M2 carbine as a G.I. in the USAF. Is there a govt. program available to purchase one as is the M1 Garand or 03's?
    Can you tell me the history of this unique cartridge and does anyone else use this particular shell? Also, what is the meaning of "Ball " Ammunition? Thanks for your help.
    JimT

2. Eric

Eric Guest

All I know is that in the early 60s, the government sold, I believe, 150,000 M1 Carbines to NRA members to get rid of them. I wish I could recall exactly...but they were dirt cheap. Alas, my kingdom for a time machine.

3. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

Many M1 Carbines were given to Israel by Nixon, as "Military Aid". Some of them are now being used by the Israeli civilians for defense. Their military neither wanted or needed them, and kept them in storeage for years.
    The Dominican Republic had a carbine, the Cristobal Carbine, that used the .30 Carbine cartridge. This was a selective fire weapon, in both standard wood stock and folding stock versions.
    Many small nations with smaller statured people still like the little GI carbine. The Vietnamese liked it before they switched to the M-16.

4. guffster

guffster Guest

I believe I saw where the CMP also offers m1 carbines or you can get the ones IAI offers, which are all USGI part except for the handguard is metal instead of the wood.

5. Calvin

Calvin G&G Evangelist

The .30 carbine was originally formed from .32/20 brass. It was necked down to take a .308 caliber bullet weighing 110 grains with a muzzle velocity of just under 2000fps. The "ball" is nothing more than a full metal jacket. The term came from the fact that ball ammo had a rounded nose. HTH

6. savageT

savageT Guest

Thank You One and All for sharing your knowledge.
    JimT