Gun and Game Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
At the distance you are talking about, a 110 gr soft point will do the job. Its much better than the 9mm and on par with the 357 mag. At 50 yds, the penetration of the 30 carb is a little better than the 357. Probably because of the combination of fps, diameter, and metplat.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I can tell you that the .30 Carbine (using soft points/hollow point ammunition will take smaller (whitetail) deer quite effectively as far as 75 yards. Shot placement is key. Ultimak makes a rail conversion for the upper handguard (for optic placement).

Buffalo Bore makes a nice pair of 110 grain soft/hollow point rounds that will provide 2100+ fps at the muzzle and provide about 1077 foot-pounds of energy. These enhancements should extend the effective range to a maximum of 100 yards for the M1.

If you do can your part, this combination should make the "old warhorse" more effective than you think.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Thank you, sir! I have been watching the advent of handgun and rifle ammunition since the early days of Super-Vel (in the yellow box since 1966). The Lehigh bullets loaded by Underwood Ammunition seem to be the best recent development in both hunting and self-defense fodder for all sorts of cartridges.

I never have been much for the latest, greatest "whiz-bang" bullets (those come and go like the "flavor-oi-the-month" cartridges/loads). The bullet design does not compromise penetration for terminal performance. This is why I favor them so.

Look at this.

Thanks for having me here.

·
Registered
45 Posts
.30 Carbine should work just fine as long as you do your part and keep your shots within a respectable range. I have "heard of" deer being killed with .22 LR and have seen much larger animals killed with .22lr so a .30 inside 50 yards with a good HP or SP round you'll be fine.

You might try looking at the used rifle racks for a NEF single shot rifle in .44 Mag or 30-30 you can usually find them for pretty cheap if you plan to hunt more often.
i know personally one person who killed 5 deer from a tree stand with a 17hmr in about 5 min. range was probably under 40 yds. watched an old farmer kill one with a 22 cal out the window of his pickup . head shot dropped it in its tracks . he then walked over and picked it up and loaded it in the truck. bullet placement is everything.practice and practice some more!!! til you know where that bullet will strike.here in ks the ranges can be long. my 1 and only deer rifle is a 243 cal sako. it has killed lots of deer some out to 350 yds. i wish you luck and and happy eating.

·
Registered
179 Posts
At the distance you are talking about, a 110 gr soft point will do the job. Its much better than the 9mm and on par with the 357 mag. At 50 yds, the penetration of the 30 carb is a little better than the 357. Probably because of the combination of fps, diameter, and metplat.
This is a common misconception. The .30 Carbine operates at 5000 more CUP than the .357 S&W Magnum. With the reduced frontal area the ballistic coefficient allows the 110-grain .308" projectile to retain its energy downrange far better than that of the .357" diameter bullet. This is an indisputable fact.

The War Department required the 110-grain .30 US Carbine FMJ to completely penetrate a USGI issue steel helmet at 200 yards. Any less would have caused the .30 Carbine to be deemed unacceptable for military service (Look it up).

It is simple physics.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
36,051 Posts
Ballistically, I think as long as your don't fire the M-1 Carbine at anything over 50 yards away, the softpoint and hollow point cartridges will do the job. It's the accuracy of your carbine I worry about. 5 MOA at 100 yards? Am I reading that right? Personally, I would think hard before hunting with that particular carbine if it won't perform better than that.

In your shoes, rondog, and I know you can hit what you point at, I've been reading your posts for years, I would start by detail-stripping the carbine and cleaning hell out of it. I'd give some thought to corking the barrel, too, to see if that improved performance. And of course you'll test it with different loads to see which gives you the best accuracy. But I think you need to improve the accuracy of that carbine before you take it into the field.

If you have an SKS, especially a Yugo Model 59/66 you can use as a straight pull bolt action, Barnaul has both softpoint and hollow point ammunition running at about $10 per 20 round box. The SKS would surely do the job for you. Just an opinion.

Reactions: neophyte
21 - 30 of 30 Posts