Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I know this cartridge is capable of taking white tailed deer at 100 yards or less

Looking for some input on bullets for hunting my brother just bought one for my nephew for deer season that starts Saturday. I think he said he got some 110 factory rounds but I know we will be reloading for this for next year

What would the guys that have hunted with this would say for bullet weight

Sent from my iPhone using Gun and Game mobile app

·
Registered
10,539 Posts
I have killed deer & hogs with a variety of bullet, weights and loadings for the 300 BLK. my favorite hunting bullet/load is a 125 gr. SST over 18.3 gr. of H-110 /W-296. out of my 16" barrel it chronos at 2170 fps. the 110 gr. bullets fly a little faster but the extra weight of the 125 has always given me complete pass throughs with about a 1" exit wound. most heavier .30 bullets don't perform below 1800 fps. and just punch through without a lot of tissue damage. the exceptions are the bullets designed for the .30/30 but they usually have feeding problems in an AR 15. the Speer Gold Dot 150 gr.(supersonic) and the Hornady 190 gr. SubX.(subsonic) for subsonic loads work good in the AR. there are also the expensive subsonic "boutique bullets" from Maker and Leigh Defense that some people swear by but I've never tried them.

·
<------------<<<-
4,599 Posts
The 110gr and 120gr Barnes loads have good reviews. They shoot plenty accurately. I lost a doe with the 110gr load, though. I was shooting down and only punched one lung, and she rand straight and far.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts