Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After debating getting a 223 vs 300blk, I decided on a 16” 223. However, the 300blk ar-pistol it h hasn’t gone away - I’m now trying to decide if I should get a 8.5”, a 10.5”, or say ‘F’ it and forgot about it.

This pistol would be for home defense, fun at the range, and potential hunting deer (150yd max).

I do already have a 22lr & 223 (semi), 308 & 30-06 (bolt) rifles so if I want to hunt or plink my bases are pretty well covered, but still the allure of an ar pistol is cool to me. Thoughts?

·
Registered
10,333 Posts
get one!
I love my 300 BLK 9" AR pistol. (with can shown next to my 10.5" 5.56 pistol) my supersonic loads are only around 150 fps slower than out of the 16" bbl. carbine. but I mostly shoot it subsonic with a suppressor. lots of fun! but if you don't have a suppressor, better put a blast deflector on the barrel instead of a flash hider. AR pistols are LOUD!!!!
Camera accessory Gas Tints and shades Machine Wood

·
Registered
5,301 Posts
300 blackout is one I don't own, but that's only because I load subsonic 7.62x39 that will cycle my commie AR uppers.

You've asked a "should I" question to a bunch of enablers. With that said, the answer is absolutely, you should get one. And a suppressor for it.

·
Registered
5,301 Posts
Oh yeah. You asked about barrel length. I generally prefer 16 or 10.5 on my uppers. 10.5 looks right with a suppressor, but I don't have any data on the blackout optimum lengths.

·
Registered
6,257 Posts
After debating getting a 223 vs 300blk, I decided on a 16” 223. However, the 300blk ar-pistol it h hasn’t gone away - I’m now trying to decide if I should get a 8.5”, a 10.5”, or say ‘F’ it and forgot about it.

This pistol would be for home defense, fun at the range, and potential hunting deer (150yd max).

I do already have a 22lr & 223 (semi), 308 & 30-06 (bolt) rifles so if I want to hunt or plink my bases are pretty well covered, but still the allure of an ar pistol is cool to me. Thoughts?

Do it. now is a good time, prices for parts and components are fairly low, that can always change in the future. they hardly ever get any cheaper.

I did kinda the same thing. started with a 16" rifle. then built a 10.5 pistol, then i really wanted an even smaller one so i went with a 7.5" .300 blk ar pistol. i think 8.5" is probably the "ideal length for .300 blk, but there isnt much difference between 7.5" and 8.5" from a ballisitics standpoint.

for me the 10.5" 5.56 is the home defense gun, i load it with 50 gr hp's that wont over penetrate walls too bad. the .300 blk is my camping/ truck gun, the extra penetration could be good against larger predators. plus its the smallest one.

·
Registered
6,257 Posts
I have no affiliation with any of these companies, but I like to shop the following for good deals on ar-15 parts:

Palmetto state armory
primary arms
ar15discounts
Brownells

there are many out there, but i have personally done business with these companies and recommend their service. they have good deals and selection.

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
I have several 5.56, a carbine and pistol in 300 , and Carbine in 7.62 x39. I am retired military and carried a Mini 14 in law enforcement, so I am all,over the 5.56, single shot, bolt action, Mini and ARs. I shoot them suppressed but supersonic. With the right scope you can take a shot at a coyote at 300 yards without much concern about ranging the pup. With the 300 don't waist your ammo.

I jumped on the 300 Whisper band wagon before there was 300 BLK starting with Carbine, 16 inch. Pretty nice but overrated for a deer gun. I only hunt big deer and it is pretty limited very far out, certainly far inferior to 30-30, but I did not know that back then. There were no factory cases back then so we made our own the first few years. It was cool, like 30 carbine on steroids, I shoot it suppressed with all ammo. Bought lots of molds for subsonic and lots of ammo and products to maximize the BLK. . Then I got the bright idea I would build a pistol to haul in the RV, we camp in bear country lot. Thers is so much power loss and so much added wasted powder with the shorter barrels so I went with the 10.5 inch barrel. It is OK, But it turned out to be just a fun gun. When you are in a public camp ground, you best not take an AR pistol with you when the dogs go pee. 14 people will tell the next park ranger when they see him. I ws once a park ranger, they cannot ignore people who pack an AR every time they take their dogs out to pee. Also. walking round with an AR pistol in the woods can have them checking you for a hunting license. So my two 300BLKs have become fun Guns. I still carry a long gun when we camp, it just does not come out, a 44 or 357 mag pistol does not alarm anybody. If the bear or zombies or gangsters attack our camp, it is there.

Then I got the bright idea to build a carbine in 7.62x39 and it was immediate love. I bought the cheap Midway upper,t he AR Stoner brand. They have perfected the magazines the last decade so that old problem went away. If you are going to hunt, it has about 200 fps more than the 300 BLK and just has much better potential for killing big deer farther. If you hunt small deer like in Florida or parts of Texas the 300 is fine to maybe 150 yards with the 16 inch barrel not very far with the pistol. I shoot the 7.62 x 39 suppressed as well and with 150 grain BTSP it has some serious thump.Mine will shoot One inch groups with good ammo, two inch groups with the cheap Russian steel ammo.

As far as AR pistols for home defense, I have mixed views. In was involved in a number or raids and sudden arrests, you simply cannot move through your house very well with the AR pistol. You need to be able to fire with one hand, the other will be needed for a cell phone, to herd your kids,wife, or dog, and open and close doors, you do not want a 2 foot long gun for close encounters. If you live alone and have cameras and alarms and your alarm auto dials the cops a hone defense AR may be fine, you will need to get away from it when the cops get there. Anyway, if you are feeding that itch go for it. But there is no real advantage to the pistol over the carbine for actual defensive use, that is more for range fun. And if you plan to hunt by all means get the carbine. If you are set up where you can all huddle in one room and eat for the cops to clear the house, then the AR pistol would be great.

My 2
cents.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
RetiredFreedomfighter appreciate your comments and experience!

Carrying it around the woods when I camp, could indeed increase my talks with a park ranger, didn’t think about that.

Also, I do have a 9mm so perhaps better training with that could fill the home defense and “camp” gun (I have more range experience with rifles which made the AR “pistol” more desirable), that being said I’m single.

Well, you given me some things to think about!

Cheers

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
edit to correct...350 not 300 legend

If I were seriously thinking about another short one for bear defense and possible use at night were these guys all have significant muzzle flash I would go with the 300 legend. You can shoot 180 grain bullets to over 2000 fps with a 16 inch barrel. They are also the only AR compatible round you can buy at Walmart. Where I live they are always in stock. The bigger bullets put it in a class of its own. They claim the 350 is a true 250 yard deer gun with the 150 grain ammo. The 180 grain make it a bear and hog stopper more so than the little bullets.

Just a thought. Lots you can do with the AR platform.

Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Machine gun

·
Registered
7,868 Posts
Weather is warming up...I have all the parts and plan to build a 300BO, an AR Pistol, and AR Rifle this summer. Vendors used: AIM Surplus, Just Rails, Optics Planet, Bear Creek, Amazon. Still debating on Optics but Vortex Scopes, Holosun Red Dots, and Flip Sights are leading choices.
Lower Receivers
Lower Receiver Parts Kit
Upper Receivers
Upper Receiver Parts Kit
AR Low Profile .750 Gas Blocks
Gas Tube Mid Length w/pin
Gas Tube Pistol Length w/pin 6.75 inch
Bolt Carrier Group 5.56 Black
Bolt Carrier Group 5.56 Gold
Charging Handles Presma Ambidexterous
Charging Handles Pusnisher
Muzzle Brake Crush Washers
Muzzle Brake Tanker Style 5.56 <<< too heavy won't use
Muzzle Break 30 cal 5/8x24 for .308 Win Ruger American Rifle
Muzzle Break 5.56 1/2x28 <<< for the 18" heavy barrel
Muzzle Kaw Valley XL 30 cal 5/8x24
Muzzle Break Pistol Kaw Valley XL 5.56 1/2x28
Accu Wedge 3 per pack
Pistol Grip UTG Pro
Pistol Grip Combat Sniper UTG
Key Mod Rail Panel Kit
Stock Carbine Trinity Force Omega w/Buffer Assy
Stabilizer Fin for Pistol - Presma
Pistol Buffer Tube Kit
Barrel Bear Creek Heavy 5.56 18"
Barrel Bear Creek Pistol 5.56 Stainless 10.5"
Barrel Bear Creek Pistol 300BO Stainless 10.5"
Hand Rail Rifle
Hand Rail Pistol 12"
Springs Kit Spare

·
Registered
6,257 Posts
If I were seriously thinking about another short one for bear defense and possible use at night were these guys all have significant muzzle flash I would go with the 300 legend. You can shoot 180 grain bullets to over 2000 fps with a 16 inch barrel. They are also the only AR compatible round you can buy at Walmart. Where I live they are always in stock. The bigger bullets put it in a class of its own. They claim the 350 is a true 250 yard deer gun with the 150 grain ammo. The 180 grain make it a bear and hog stopper more so than the little bullets.

View attachment 174155

I saw the "han solo blaster ar" about a year ago or so and ever since i realllly want one! totally impractical, but super freaking cool!

·
Registered
6,257 Posts
Weather is warming up...I have all the parts and plan to build a 300BO, an AR Pistol, and AR Rifle this summer. Vendors used: AIM Surplus, Just Rails, Optics Planet, Bear Creek, Amazon. Still debating on Optics but Vortex Scopes, Holosun Red Dots, and Flip Sights are leading choices.
Lower Receivers
Lower Receiver Parts Kit
Upper Receivers
Upper Receiver Parts Kit
AR Low Profile .750 Gas Blocks
Gas Tube Mid Length w/pin
Gas Tube Pistol Length w/pin 6.75 inch
Bolt Carrier Group 5.56 Black
Bolt Carrier Group 5.56 Gold
Charging Handles Presma Ambidexterous
Charging Handles Pusnisher
Muzzle Brake Crush Washers
Muzzle Brake Tanker Style 5.56 <<< too heavy won't use
Muzzle Break 30 cal 5/8x24 for .308 Win Ruger American Rifle
Muzzle Break 5.56 1/2x28 <<< for the 18" heavy barrel
Muzzle Kaw Valley XL 30 cal 5/8x24
Muzzle Break Pistol Kaw Valley XL 5.56 1/2x28
Accu Wedge 3 per pack
Pistol Grip UTG Pro
Pistol Grip Combat Sniper UTG
Key Mod Rail Panel Kit
Stock Carbine Trinity Force Omega w/Buffer Assy
Stabilizer Fin for Pistol - Presma
Pistol Buffer Tube Kit
Barrel Bear Creek Heavy 5.56 18"
Barrel Bear Creek Pistol 5.56 Stainless 10.5"
Barrel Bear Creek Pistol 300BO Stainless 10.5"
Hand Rail Rifle
Hand Rail Pistol 12"
Springs Kit Spare
Ive had good experience with a holosun rds and would certainly recommend them. my buddy has a similar sized aimpoint and its not any better, actually the aimpoint has a significantly more pronounced bluish hue to it than the holosun.

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
I saw the "han solo blaster ar" about a year ago or so and ever since i realllly want one! totally impractical, but super freaking cool!
That picture is off the net on a site that lists all the parts and sources of parts. That one is a 22 but most build them in 9mm. I think the parts costs was over $1k so I lost interest. at the time. If they have a kit for say one in 45 acp, or even 10mm, that would be a blaster that might interest me. Somebody sells one I was told, have to fo a search..

·
Registered
5,876 Posts
I'm with the "fun gun" camp when it comes to an AR pistol.
I built my 300BO AR pistol with a 10.5" barrel simply because I got a good deal on it. I was looking for a 12" but didn't find any at the time. My reasoning was that I was never going to use the AR as a concealed carry or belt holster gun. Just looking at a 300BO cartridge, I could see that there just is not a lot of powder space for the bullet size. It was never going to be any serious hunting weapon for me and is not my idea of a good option for defense against bears or cranky "mooses".
So it was mostly a "just because and fun" gun for me. As for home defense, it's not my notion of an ideal house gun. I do use it -sometimes- for night guard yard duty. We get coyotes all around us and I have 2 little dogs that would make a meal for them. I have a light and laser on it so it might be faster to get on target in the dark and ranges are short anyway.

It is accurate and fun to shoot. Cases aren't hard to make (good thing since I haven't seen factory rounds in a long time). But realistically, I have guns that are far more practical. So as I said, it was built as a fun gun.

That said, I did buy a 16" barrel on sale a few months ago. It's intended to try to wring out a little more performance from the 300BO. And it's just sitting there begging to be built into an upper to try in 3-gun. Again, just for the fun of it.

·
Registered
6,257 Posts
I'm with the "fun gun" camp when it comes to an AR pistol.
I built my 300BO AR pistol with a 10.5" barrel simply because I got a good deal on it. I was looking for a 12" but didn't find any at the time. My reasoning was that I was never going to use the AR as a concealed carry or belt holster gun. Just looking at a 300BO cartridge, I could see that there just is not a lot of powder space for the bullet size. It was never going to be any serious hunting weapon for me and is not my idea of a good option for defense against bears or cranky "mooses".
So it was mostly a "just because and fun" gun for me. As for home defense, it's not my notion of an ideal house gun. I do use it -sometimes- for night guard yard duty. We get coyotes all around us and I have 2 little dogs that would make a meal for them. I have a light and laser on it so it might be faster to get on target in the dark and ranges are short anyway.

It is accurate and fun to shoot. Cases aren't hard to make (good thing since I haven't seen factory rounds in a long time). But realistically, I have guns that are far more practical. So as I said, it was built as a fun gun.

That said, I did buy a 16" barrel on sale a few months ago. It's intended to try to wring out a little more performance from the 300BO. And it's just sitting there begging to be built into an upper to try in 3-gun. Again, just for the fun of it.

nothing wrong with that! heck you can always sell it later, if you decide you dont need or want it anymore, and probably get more than you put into it in parts.

plus, half the fun of ar's is building them! my .300 blk is def a lower round count gun compared to my 5.56 guns due to ammo cost/ availability.

one of the things that I think is neat about the .300 blk is its almost the polar opposite of the 5.56, heavy-slow/light-fast. neat contrast in the same platform.

while i do see it as a fun gun, its not completely impractical either.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
edit to correct...350 not 300 legend

View attachment 174155
I like the 350 Legend for deer easy to shoot & works great. Also legal on public land here.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts