Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When loading for a 300 Savage with the rotary style bolt, do you have to crimp the rounds? Looking at it it seems like there might be less torque on the bullet tip when feeding it, as opposed to a Marlin lever. I ask because I tried loading for a few 30-30's and getting the crimp right seemed to be a hangup with me. I used the RCBS crimper included and have a Lee factory crimp die as well for the 30-30.

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
i dont crimp, not even for semi auto's. as long as you get sufficient neck tension, i probably wouldnt even try to crimp for it.

·
Registered
15,235 Posts
The only time I even consider crimping bottle-neck cartridges is when taking them on big game hunts in rough terrain where we are packing in and things get thrown around a lot.I stay away from bullets with cannilures because they might not be quite as accurate altho I have had very accurate bullets with canilures. sam.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Only reason to crimp is to prevent bullet movement in tube mags.

Crimping reduces accuracy.
Really how about these Lee FCD Rds. I shoot in my YUGO SKS with iron sights. I also crimp My 300 Sav. Rds. and M44 Rds. using the Lee FCD I also now shoot Sub 1" group from both those rifles also.

·
Registered
737 Posts
What was the problem crimping 30-30 rounds, the Lee FCD is pretty easy to set up using the instructions. If you don't have them just run the ram up to the top stroke screw the FCD down until it touches the shell holder back the ram off and turn the die down 1/2 turn more, turn the locking ring down snug on the die you can still turn the die down more if you need to to increase the crimp you can watch the collars as the close around the neck of the case I usually adjust mine to where the is just a little bit of space between the segments when I,m at the top of the ram stroke.

·
Registered
15,235 Posts
It is still unnecessary to crimp if you have the proper id in the neck.LeftyO is right on this one.And crimping can and usually does contribute to inaccuracy because of the difference in release of the bullet causing difference in pressures between rounds. This isnt me talking,this is in every loading instruction book out there.I realise some know more than the books but I dont. sam.

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
I never crimp for Bolt actions or single shots. I do crimp for levers and autos.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It was the accuracy. I was loading for 3 different 30-30's. I couldn't get a crimp all of the guns liked. They all do decent with factory stuff. I tried light, medium, and hard crimp, using instructions. Looked just like a factory crimp too.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Mag putting the crimp vs. non-crimp aside because it seem to work differently for everyone,one thing you will learn in time is every firearm from 22 rf. up to very large caliber rifles and handguns will shoot differently even using the same load in two identical guns,there are many variables that contribute to the accuracy of how a particular rifle/pistol/load combination works.

You may work up a load for one gun and it shoots a 1' group you take that very same load fire it in an identical gun of same make model and caliber and it could shoot the same or totally different. The beauty of reload is that it allows you to tailor your ammo for each specific gun. It's always great when you can work up a load that your happy with that will work in identical type and of same caliber guns,but some may require a little tweaking to get the best accuracy.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I agree with you res45, It might not be the crimp at all ! It is more than likely the load ! Example, my brother-in-law and I both own Rem Mod.700s in 308Win, his rifle will shoot 3/4" three shot groups @ 100yards with 42.5grs of IMR 4895. My identical rifle shoots 5" groups using that same load. Every firearm is different, not all firearms will like the same load,so try some different powders and bullets and if there is a canilure on the bullets by all means crimp them! That canilure is there for a reason.To keep the bullets from moving in the case under recoil! try crimping with a light crimp, and work up to a heavy crimp if you feel you need to. I also own an old Mod.14 Remington in 35Rem,I load only 200gr, Sierra RN,and 200gr Hornady RN bullets,This 90 year rifle will shoot sub 1" groups @ 100yards all day long ! other shooters are amazed by the accuracy of this old rifle,and every bullet that I load has a heavy crimp. Good luck and Good Hunting!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts