Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I,ve been at it for 40+ years reloading and Hunting Deer and Small Game. Did have a 270 Winchester for Deer, but then I started reading about people going missing . Either they were hiking or on watch Hunting or in a tree stand. Most disappearances were evening hours.. Then I added Squash to my thoughts and traded the 270 for a Savage 300 Winchester Magnum. Right away I felt less worrying about the big woods. For my 300 I load 200 Grain Accubond cranking around 2800 fps. Oh, I live in New York State but I move around allot for Big Game hunts. I have done some trapping in my younger days but not enough time at it. Just to get by. Have did allot of Duck and Goose Hunting with my friend for several years. Made out ok but I sure shot a lot of lead behind them speed demon Ducks. My favorite Shotgun in my younger years was the Remington Model 270 Wingmaster.. Other Guns I,ve had is Savage 12ga model 500. I would give this Gun a 5 star rating. Also 250/3000 Savage, 243 Winchester I think Model 10 not sure. 22/250 wow, what a hot cartridge, Two 44 Magnum Ruger Blackhawks. Ruger 357 Magnums.
My best Handgun when I first got my carry permit which took 6 months to clear the paper work was a [email protected] Model 19 Combat revolver 357 Magnum. With target Stocks. At that time the N.Y.S. Troopers were carrying same.Revolver. My personnel carry is a Glock 21 45 ACP. which I most often carry now because of these shootings. Spent 1 and 1/2 yrs. in Nam as a U.S. Army Ranger back in that time during recon in Laos, Cambodia and many trips to the A. valley. Put a ribbon around me and I guess I,ve had a good life of the Hunting sports and world travel. Glad to be aboard with you folks.
Amen

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
That's how you do an introduction. Welcome aboard.

I've been loading 220 grain Sierra MatchKings for my 700 Remington chambered for .300 win. Been trying to reach out and make groups beyond 600 yards. The closest range for that is 45 minutes away over some terrible roads, so I haven't gotten as much practice as I had hoped in the last few years. You picked a good user name is my point.

·
Premium Member
4,881 Posts
I,ve been at it for 40+ years reloading and Hunting Deer and Small Game. Did have a 270 Winchester for Deer, but then I started reading about people going missing . Either they were hiking or on watch Hunting or in a tree stand. Most disappearances were evening hours.. Then I added Squash to my thoughts and traded the 270 for a Savage 300 Winchester Magnum. Right away I felt less worrying about the big woods. For my 300 I load 200 Grain Accubond cranking around 2800 fps. Oh, I live in New York State but I move around allot for Big Game hunts. I have done some trapping in my younger days but not enough time at it. Just to get by. Have did allot of Duck and Goose Hunting with my friend for several years. Made out ok but I sure shot a lot of lead behind them speed demon Ducks. My favorite Shotgun in my younger years was the Remington Model 270 Wingmaster.. Other Guns I,ve had is Savage 12ga model 500. I would give this Gun a 5 star rating. Also 250/3000 Savage, 243 Winchester I think Model 10 not sure. 22/250 wow, what a hot cartridge, Two 44 Magnum Ruger Blackhawks. Ruger 357 Magnums.
My best Handgun when I first got my carry permit which took 6 months to clear the paper work was a [email protected] Model 19 Combat revolver 357 Magnum. With target Stocks. At that time the N.Y.S. Troopers were carrying same.Revolver. My personnel carry is a Glock 21 45 ACP. which I most often carry now because of these shootings. Spent 1 and 1/2 yrs. in Nam as a U.S. Army Ranger back in that time during recon in Laos, Cambodia and many trips to the A. valley. Put a ribbon around me and I guess I,ve had a good life of the Hunting sports and world travel. Glad to be aboard with you folks.
Amen

Welcome from the Pacific Northwet

·
Registered
I love any and all firearms, also love archery hunting.
350 Posts
Welcome from the Pacific Northwest, Washington state. I've had a 300 Win Mag for years and love it. I usually shoot 180 grain out of it for elk season.

RANGERS LEAD THE WAY!

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you so much guys for your saying hi to me. Means to me, there good members here in the club.I have a bunch of 180 grainers but decided to zero the 200,s. It,s already passed the law board here in New York State a Bill to outlaw lead Bullets. All that,s got to be done is have the Gov. sign it. And I know she will darn it. rangerjd , us rangers certainly do that. Hey Dutch if you like drop down to the 180 grainers. Will improve your velocity to have less drop way out there. And yet the 220 grain will work best on wing drift.

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
Thank you so much guys for your saying hi to me. Means to me, there good members here in the club.I have a bunch of 180 grainers but decided to zero the 200,s. It,s already passed the law board here in New York State a Bill to outlaw lead Bullets. All that,s got to be done is have the Gov. sign it. And I know she will darn it. rangerjd , us rangers certainly do that. Hey Dutch if you like drop down to the 180 grainers. Will improve your velocity to have less drop way out there. And yet the 220 grain will work best on wing drift.
Welcome from Oklahoma. I shoot a 300 Weatherby Mark V Deluxe, out of the custom shop. I do load both 180 and 200grain partitions and they work well. I also have a supply of the original Barnes 250 grain solids. If you need to shoot anything over a ton, they should work.

One the other hand I can highly recommend the Nosler 125 grain ballistic tip for the 300 also. They are supposed to be for varmints, but if you go to the Weatherby Nation forum you will hear them called the 'hammer of thor', when used for deer an antelope at very long range. Some people claim the 300s are over kill for deer. Not sure what they mean, dead is dead. They do not blow up any meat at all if you shoot them right. The beauty of those light fast bullets is they just zip right thru those wind gusts.

Welcome.

·
Premium Member
3,874 Posts
Nosler 125 grain ballistic tip for the 300 also.
Man, that's coming out of that muzzle faaast. My 308 VLP Savage had an incredibly short chamber so I could still load 125 gr touching the lands, I got my best accuracy with 168's though and on feral hogs? I never shot one more than once.

Um, elephant in the room time but does the OP say he moved to 300 mag because of bigfoot or am too many beers in here?

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Welcome from Oklahoma. I shoot a 300 Weatherby Mark V Deluxe, out of the custom shop. I do load both 180 and 200grain partitions and they work well. I also have a supply of the original Barnes 250 grain solids. If you need to shoot anything over a ton, they should work.

One the other hand I can highly recommend the Nosler 125 grain ballistic tip for the 300 also. They are supposed to be for varmints, but if you go to the Weatherby Nation forum you will hear them called the 'hammer of thor', when used for deer an antelope at very long range. Some people claim the 300s are over kill for deer. Not sure what they mean, dead is dead. They do not blow up any meat at all if you shoot them right. The beauty of those light fast bullets is they just zip right thru those wind gusts.

Welcome.
Been asked the same question on why do you need the 300 ? We,ll, you can hunt anything on the North American Continent because the 300 provides a great range of most any grain load you need to adapt to your needs for the game your hunting.I,m also a N.Y.S. Patriot member to add in. My friend, you have a top of the line weapon there. It,s a Weatherby no doubt , the Cadillac of gun in the woods of America.

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited by Moderator)
welcome from Fla.
our skunk apes down here aren't quite as big as a sasquatch, so I haven't needed to carry anything bigger than my .30/06. ;)
/06 is just a fine carry.The weak spot on these Skunk Apes and the Squash are the eyes. I will give you a tip, if your walking in on a trail stop every so often and listen to the wood songs. If it,s dead quiet a Predator is watching you. Stop and slowly back out .Whatever you do, do not run. when the wood songs come back then go in some other way. If one of these hairy beast step onto the trail in front of you aways freeze, pee or chit. Do not point the weapon at it because they hate guns. You could provoke a charge. Back out slowly and again no running. If there is a charge it could be a bluff but if the hairy one keeps coming , start banging away. Forest Ranger have had lot of run in but all the time they continue into the woods and go on their way. Only thing is these Rangers are seeing DOGMAN.

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
welcome from Fla.
our skunk apes down here aren't quite as big as a sasquatch, so I haven't needed to carry anything bigger than my .30/06. ;)
Just another idea and this is a Bad but stopper. A 12 Guage Pump with Breneke slugs if you can find them. Jerimia Johnson said , keeps your eyes on the sky line and watch your top notch.

·
Registered
10,183 Posts
/06 is just a fine carry.The weak spot on these Skunk Apes and the Squash are the eyes. I will give you a tip, if your walking in on a trail stop every so often and listen to the wood songs. If it,s dead quiet a Predator is watching you. Stop and slowly back out .Whatever you do, do not run. when the wood songs come back then go in some other way. If one of these hairy beast step onto the trail in front of you aways freeze, pee or chit. Do not point the weapon at it because they hate guns. You could provoke a charge. Back out slowly and again no running. If there is a charge it could be a bluff but if the hairy one keeps coming , start banging away. Forest Ranger have had lot of run in but all the time they continue into the woods and go on their way. Only thing is these Rangers are seeing DOGMAN.
glad we don't have DOGMAN down here! good advise but like I said, our skunk apes are small as Yetii go. and being only about 7 ft, they tend to be more shy. especially if you are with another human. that being said, they will wait until everyone in camp is asleep then they have no problem attacking the beer & food coolers! we have to booby trap the coolers in some areas they are so bold!

·
Wonderment :)
36,174 Posts
Having raccoon hunted (nights). Me; nor our dawgs ; have seen him.
But “lizard stink”
Yep. It stinks 😜

Scotland has the Loch Ness Monster. The Pacific northwest has the Sasquatch. Puerto Rico has the chupacabra, Nepal the yeti.
They can't hold a candle to the Lizard Man.
A denizen of the swamps surrounding Bishopville and a connoisseur of delicious chrome trim on automobiles, the Lizard Man is South Carolina's very own homegrown monster.
Imagine it, if you can: In the wee, dark hours of the morning on June 29, 1988, a teenage boy was driving home from work when he blew a tire along the edge of Scape Ore Swamp. He got out of the car to change the tire when he heard a sound, like someone running, getting louder and louder. Suddenly, from the darkness, it emerged

1 - 20 of 22 Posts