300Win Mag - Savage 116 FHSS - A Real Shooter

Discussion in 'General Rifle' started by CircuitRider, Aug 24, 2010.

1. CircuitRider

CircuitRider G&G Regular

USA
    Here is my Savage 300Win Mag I am working with and developing loads for this hunting season. I have use the 300Win in a Model 70 Super Grade in 93-95 and a 300Win Mag in a Ruger MK II Stainles from 97-2001 and loved them. Actually liked it better than my 300Wby cartridge and it is pretty even with how I feel about the 300Win Mag and the 30-06.

I have decided to build on my load work and hunting experience using the 300Win Mag with this Savage 116 FHSS (Accutrigger/Accustock) with a Bushnell 4200 with a Weaver 20MOA base and Weaver tactical rings, for this years hunting so I can finish an article I started two years ago.

This rifle will be fully capable of letting me hunt in any weather. I won't have to worry about rain on my rifle or my scope fogging up about the time I want to take a shot, which has happened to me down here in South Mississippi and I did not get my scope clear of the condensation in time to take the shot on a gas line right of way. Will be practicing out to 600yds with GB300wm for longer shots this year.

But hear are some pictures of the rifle and targets to show where I am at the moment with more targets and load info to follow in the next 3 to 4 weeks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Targets will be on next post.

2. CircuitRider

CircuitRider G&G Regular

USA
    Just to keep things in perspective here are 9 groups in unbroken succession of different bullets, powders and primers after the break-in. This shows the consistency of this Savage 116 FHSS 300Win Mag.

Here is the break-in target with the group in the middle being the last five rounds fired in the break-in process

[​IMG]

210gr Berger four shot group

[​IMG]

180gr Ballistic Tip

[​IMG]

165gr Sierra HPBT three shot group with H4350 at 3057fps

[​IMG]

165gr Sierra HPBT using H1000 at 3118fps five shot group I pulled the 2nd and 3rd rounds and called them when I did trying to get use to the Accutrigger.

[​IMG]

165gr Sierra HPBT using H1000 at 3123fps five shot group and I pulled the 1st round and called it, still the trigger but I am getting better with it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

165gr HPBT - H1000 3114fps - 5 shot group Win brass 9 1/2M primer

[​IMG]

165gr HPBT - (1/10th gr more) H1000 3119fps - 5 shot group Win brass 9 1/2M primer

[​IMG]

165gr HPBT - IMR4350 3218fps - 5 shot group Win brass CCI250 primer

[​IMG]

180gr Ballistic Tip - IMR4350 3091fps - 5 shot group Win brass CCI250 primers

[​IMG]

3. CircuitRider

CircuitRider G&G Regular

USA
    Well, it was bugging me about the group using the 165gr HPBT in front of IMR4350 using CCI250 primers. I wanted to see if it was a consistent load and also checking the consistency of my barrel. I cleaned my barrel before I went to shoot this group because it had fired 45 rounds since my last cleaning. I wanted to see if it would shoot with a clean barrel as well as it shot with a fouled barrel. So this morning early before I had to go to work I stopped buy the range and shot this group.

Well my barrel is truly a shooter and my load is good and consistent. Here is a six shot group out of a clean barrel. The flyer is the first shot out of the totally cleaned barrel. I am pleased to say the least. It should even tighten up a little more after firing these six rounds.

165gr Sierra HPBT, IMR4350, Win Brass, CCI primers. With flyer the group is 1.276" and without the flyer the next five measure .662 and the average velocity over the six rounds was 3228fps.

[​IMG]

4. Aaronb2245

Aaronb2245 G&G Addict

Very nice looking rifle!! I have not handled or fired a Savage myself, but I have heard that they are accurate rifles. I like the jeweled bolt, SS, and good shooting! Btw I believe you will find the 180-200gr rounds to be the most accurate out the 300 win mag. This is due to the rate of twist, but since you handload I'm sure you already knew that. Thank you for sharing your fine looking rifle with us.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2010
  5. Midas

Midas Chief Troll B' Gone Forum Contributor

Those darn Savages will just flat out shoot, I've owned several over the years and it has never been much of an issue to get them shooting like a house afire.

6. CircuitRider

CircuitRider G&G Regular

USA
    Thanks Aaron, and yes it is possible for the heavier to me more accurate in a 300Win. I am working with the heavier bullets to see which ones my rifle likes.

7. CircuitRider

CircuitRider G&G Regular

USA
    This is my third one but the first one with the accutrigger and stock. All three of my Savages have been shooters and it was not hard to find a load they liked.

8. Aaronb2245

Aaronb2245 G&G Addict

May I ask what you paid for you rifle?

9. CircuitRider

CircuitRider G&G Regular

USA
    I got the last one Gander Mountain had at the time before they ordered a new shipment for all their stores and I got it on sale for $472.00 :)

10. Aaronb2245

Aaronb2245 G&G Addict

I'm pretty impressed with the price especially with the SS.

11. CircuitRider

CircuitRider G&G Regular

USA
    I have settled on a load after much testing now. I tried this load with different primers to make sure. 165gr Sierra HPBT, 74grs IMR4350, Win Brass, CCI250 primers, COAL, 3.340" moving 3218fps (average over five 5 shot groups), Extreme Spread 22 and Deviaton of 9.47. Average group size of five 5 shot groups including flyers is 1/2" without flyers 1/4".

12. Palladin8

Palladin8 G&G Evangelist

Nice groups CircutRider. Have you ever tried RL-22 in the .300? I have great luck with it and 200gr SMKs and game kings

13. CircuitRider

CircuitRider G&G Regular

USA
    I really tried with RL-22 and in my 300Win with 210gr Bergers, 208gr A-Max and 190gr SMK it just did not come close to the accuracy I needed. H1000 and IMR7828 and MRP-2 out preformed RL-22. I have only be able to get RL-22 to shoot accurately (under 1/3") in my 300Wby in front of a 180gr TSX.

14. BigCaneSwift

BigCaneSwift G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

I just love Savage rifles! Good shootin.Nice rifle

15. cooker300

cooker300 G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

yes those savages are good shootersi just traded a rem 798 in 300wm for a savage 111 in 300wm and after 12 rounds im pretty sure im in love with this rifle. dialed in and 3 rounds groups of 1" @ 100 good enough for and thing i hunt for.

16. jrand461

jrand461 G&G Newbie

Anyone interested in two boxes of Remington 300 Win Mag 150 gr core Lokt? My buddy bought me Winn Mag instead of Ultra so now I am trying to get some of my money back. I paid $55 for both boxes and are willing to sell for $40. Send me an email to [email protected] if interested. Thank you!

17. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

Sounds like a fine shooter.As a target load the Sierra HPBT 165 sounds fine but at lesser ranges under 200yds I would be skeptical pushing that particular bullet much past 3000fps for hunting applications.For hunting,(large deer,elk and more,especially bear) I believe 180gr and heavier has their advantages at what I call hunting range. (under 200yds)!65,s might work great,but at 3200+fps I would be worried about bullet failure.I would ask Sierra before using them at that velocity hunting.

18. CircuitRider

CircuitRider G&G Regular

USA
    Not at all. It is more than up to the task. Used if for 28 years now. It is the toughest bullet Sierra makes. Call them, they will tell you it is. I culled deer and hogs for the state of Mississippi for two years and killed 38 deer, 25 hogs, and 52 coyote in those two years using only this bullet and it never failed to drop any of these animal and they were all exits. The 38 deer were killed from ranges of 60-290yds.

I have put this bullet through an 10" laminated beam with a perfect 50 cent exit hole at 25yds out of a 300Wby moving just over 3300fps at the chorny and dug the bullet out of the berm 75yds further down range and what was left of the bullet had not separated but was still in tack.

I have used the bullet in Europe and it went clean through a Russian boar. Had an exit with this bullet on an elk taking a heart and lung shot.

The 165gr HPBT is a purer hunting bullet that is as accurate as most match bullets, but it is not a match bullet. It has a double drawn jacket. The last blackbear I killed was with this bullet at 90 yards and it went in one side and out the other taking the heart and lungs with it leaving a tennis ball size exit wound. We know it took the heart and lungs out the other side because when we clean the bear these were not in the body cavity. When it hit the bear he jumped up in the air and fell where he was hit. I would use this bullet on all but the largest and toughest game.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2010
  19. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

^Thanks for the response of personal knowledge and experience.So many hunters take the propaganda put out by bullet mfg,s as gospel and only find out after a tragedy that it isn't true.I have never used the 165gr on anything but have the 180gr SPT and was well satisfied.One shot at about 75yds left a 4pt mulie laying in his tracks and the other stopped a 5by elk in about three steps.Both were exit wounds right behind the shoulder.Doesn't get much better than that.I enjoyed the pics.

20. CircuitRider

CircuitRider G&G Regular

USA
    Sam, the 165gr SBT Game King is not as tough as the 165gr HPBT Game King. I would not use the 165gr SBT like I use the 165gr HPBT. Sierra will tell you that the 165gr HPBT Game King is tougher than their 165gr SBT Game King. Rich at Sierra can give anyone the run down on the 165gr HPBT. I love this bullet for my general use on game I hunt.