Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is a 303 Enfield with the long old wood stocks on it at a pawn shop locally that I can get for about 160.00 . What are the chances that the barrel would be "shot out" because of extensive use? I don't know the history of this gun, but if I get it, I will get the new synthetic black stock for it & convert to a sporter. I looks to be in good condition. Thanks for any feedback.

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,359 Posts
If it's in very good shape, I personally wouldn't "Bubba" it - but it's your rifle if you buy it. Enfields can make some interesting sporters, but . . .

$160 is a might steep as prices go down here, and by the time you buy the sporter stock, scope mount and scope, and five-round magazine (those ten-rounders aren't hunting legal!), you'll have more into it than a good Savage or Mossberg sporter. The .303 can be found with soft-point hunting loads, our Wal-Mart sometimes carries it - but .308 or .243 is far easier to get too.

Buy a good sporter, and leave the old warhorse to a collector who will appreciate it. You'll both be happier in the long run.
Just my two phennigs worth. :)

Hmmm . . . where is this shop located? :cool:

·
Premium Member
23,774 Posts
Big Dog is right, also some shoot tight, some don't. a Savage would be the far better choice.

·
Registered
8 Posts
ammunition for the .303 is a touchy one. There is a company up here in Canada that makes projectiles that actually fit the .303. Even with bores in mint condition the calibre dimensions are far from standard. Add a lot of wear and they definitely are not. I won't put their site in here but if anyone is interested drop me a line.

·
Premium Member
30,670 Posts
$130 for a savage that i love, if i want and like it, its a good deal...:)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts