303 for water buffalo?

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Jimmy243, May 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jimmy243

Jimmy243 G&G Newbie

I was thinking a nice No1 MKIII SMLE with 10 shot mag and open sights would be a good buffalo rifle.
    I know a lot of blokes won't use anything less than a 338 Win, but the 303 is no softie and theres 10 shots in the mag. Thoughts?

2. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

Many African animals have been killed with a .303, including Elephants, lions,and water buffalo... However I would want someone backing me up with a large Magnum just in case !!!

3. I would say pretty much as mooseman has.Plenty of big game animals have been brought down with the old 303.But i wouldnt use anything smaller than a 375H&H magnum personally.The 10 shot mag would be very handy with something that cal,but i would like a bit more stopping power.A good brno 602 375H&Hmag or bigger.5 shots in the magazine.

4. wirehunt

wirehunt Guest

And yet think about Australian history, just how many buff where cleaned up with the 30 and no back up of some 'other' rifle???????

5. and you are saying?????You would feel comfotable with a 303 if you had another choice?In the old days when the history was made there was a 303 and bugger all else available.

6. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

It is always better to be Over Gunned than Overrun !!!
    (Ancient Alaska Proverb)
    Rich

7. wirehunt

wirehunt Guest

With the 30 there was always lead in the air so........there was hope. These flash new cannons, well most people take five rounds with them, thats not much lead in the air ;)

8. I can fire my brno just as quick as my smle.And actually hit whats in front of me mate.

9. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

That is like saying it would be better to hit them with 10 small cars than 5 big trucks. sam.

10. wirehunt

wirehunt Guest

So what do you say about the arrow chuckers then samuel? 20 push bikes than 10 cars than......

If you need more than 180 X 10 (=1800 which equals a lot of lead) to kill these raging buffs then you need to go back to shooting school.

11. I have a video of some bowhunters hunting scrub bulls.You can keep that to yourself if you like running and climbing trees.Have you ever hunted scrubbers or buff?I dont think so.

12. Jimmy243

Jimmy243 G&G Newbie

I am certainly a fan of the quote "it's better to have a rifle that will do the job when everything goes wrong, rather than only when everything goes right".
    5 shots would be plenty. I thought most large magnums only held 2 or 3 rounds in the mag.
    Only posed the question because the smle is the biggest rifle I own, and buffalo/scrubbers are the biggest animals I expect to hunt. I would love a nice safari magnum like the brno, but wouldn't use it enough and don't know if I could handle the recoil. (303 doesn't phase me at all, but never fired anything bigger)

13. You wouldnt have a problem with a Brno mate,its a 10 pound rifle with a scope on it.My 602 holds 5 shots.I love my smle too but would rather use my brno on a scrubber any day.

14. billy

billy G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

any animal that size that looks at me like i owe it money makes me want a POWERFUL rifle!

15. Nathan123

Nathan123 Guest

Yea but those blokes like Tom Cole used to ride along side of em on a horse and shoot them in between the shoulder blades and take out the spine, then someone came along and gave em a finishing shot.

Moose i beleive he was talking about Aussie buffalo, Cape buffalo are not water buffalo.

I have shot buff in the Territory. If i had a choice i would not choose a .303, as much as i love them they are not a buffalo rifle, But if i was out with a three o and came across a buff i would have a go at him, i would feel quite nervous about it but i would give it a go.

The main thing to consider when hunting something that can (and will) kill ya is, It is not weather it can do the job when everything goes right, but it has to be able to do the job when everything goes wrong. How often is everything 100% perfect no matter what you are hunting.

Speaking from experience, if ya dont put him down, 9 times out of 10 he is coming to get ya. And once buffalo get hyped up on adrenalin they are hard to stop.

16. I dont think it would matter if it was an asiatic water buff or a cape buff.They are all big cranky buggers.

17. Nathan123

Nathan123 Guest

That they are. Only one thing meaner than a Buffalo in this country, and that is a Scrub bull. Well 2 if ya count my ex missus, she would make both of em turn tail and head for the scrub, LOL.

18. Water Buffalos? Asian Water Buffalos? When I was in Viet Nam I used to see little kids herding them around with a stick to keep them moving. Hell yeah, I'd shoot one of them with a .303, they're just a dumb cow. Like shooting a Holstein ;)

Last edited: May 11, 2008
  19. webs

webs G&G Newbie

Lets see,why not hunt Whitetail with a .22 rimfire.It would kill them(sooner or later) and a 50 round clip should be adequate.Why take the chance of wounding an animal that could result in personal injury to the hunter or suffering to the animal.

20. Nathan123

Nathan123 Guest

You have no idea. Yes they came from the same place, they are Asiatic Water Buffalo. Yes they are domesticated in their native country.

They have been wild animals here since the First fleet. They are a very dangerous animal, and can and will kill you in a heart beat.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.