close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

308 dies/reloading 7.62

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by hipshooter, Apr 2, 2002.

1. hipshooter

hipshooter G&G Newbie

ohio
    this is safe isnt it? anything i need to be concerned with out of the ordinary?

2. Re: .308 dies/reloading 7.62

Hope your talking about 7.62 x 51, the NATO round, and not the Russian 7.62 x 39 or 7.62 x 54.
    I use Lake City match 7.62 x 51 brass in my .308. No problem. if you neck it down to .243, you will have difficulties. The neck has too much brass to safely do this, unless you turn the neck down.

3. hipshooter

hipshooter G&G Newbie

ohio
    yes im referring to the 7.62x51 nato. what was the big no/no about them? is it safe to use 308 brass as 7.62 brass and vice versa?

4. Shaun

Shaun G&G Evangelist

they are the same as far as I know the military brass has thicker case walls so you will want to reduce the load from what you would load in a commercial case. The reasoning is because of higher pressures - I have used the same charge in Military brass that I have used in my commercial brass and on a chrony I have seen differences up to 200fps with the heavier brass

5. Re: .308 v. 7.62 x 51

I can't tell the difference as far as shooting. I have been using a medium load of Varget in mine. Like Shaun said, the brass is thicker and you need to be careful of high pressure.
    The other two cartridges are nothing to fire in a .308/7.62 x 51. The bullet diameter on the Russian rounds is larger than the NATO round. (.311 copared to .308).

6. Double D

Double D G&G Newbie

SOCAL
    Mike Southers,

I'd be interested in seeing your recipe for the .308 with the Varget. I am getting set up(someday soon I hope) to load Varget in Fed./Win. brass with Win. LR primers. Squirel Smiper sent me a good looking recipe on the old board, but I am always interested in what people are doing and getting in terms of velocity etc.

7. Re: .308 dies/loading 7.62

Double D,
    Just following Hodgdon's data: 44 grains of Varget behind a 168 gr. Sierra HPBT Match King. Federal 215 primer. This is in a LC match case. I'm printing about a 1/2-3/4 MOA for five shots from the bench out of a 700 PSS.

8. WyrTwister

WyrTwister G&G Newbie

7.62 NATO max pressure is less than .308 Win max pressures .

M14's & M60's have a much more violent treatment of brass , than your .308 Win bolt rifles . They also , probably , have larger chambers and looser headspace .

All of this stresses the brass more , that is the reason the military brass is thicker . This is pretty common with military brass of a lot of calibers .

Wyr
    God Bless

9. hipshooter

hipshooter G&G Newbie

ohio
    so firing 7.62 millitary ammo in my 308 winchester is ok? im assuming it is, btw thanks everyone for the replys!:cool:

10. Double D

Double D G&G Newbie

SOCAL
    Wytwister, I am really interested in your comment about 7.62 Nato being loaded to a lower pressure than .308. I f you are saying that the Military stuff has a thicker case and less powder capacity than the "sporter" version then I agree. Also it makes sense since the thicker case will raise internal pressures accordingly.

Last edited: May 2, 2002
  11. WyrTwister

WyrTwister G&G Newbie

I suppose it might make more sense to look at it the reverse , .308 Win is listed to have a higher max pressure than 7.62 NATO .

As far as the thicker brass , this is the case with most military ammo . This has a lot to do with the ammo being fired in guns with looser chambers and looser head space . Ad to that , it is often fires in semi or full auto weapons .both usually treat the brass rather violently .

The thicker brass helps prevent case splits and seperations .

Remember , looser tolerances aid reliability & the military is not worried about reloading the brass . As long as it stays together on one fireing , that is good enough .

Wyr
    god Bless