Gun and Game Forum banner

308 a better choice for the M1 nowadays?

• It's HERESY to have an M1 Garand in anything but the original 30-06

Votes: 5 38.5%
  • An otherwise standard M1 Garand in 308 would be more practical for the modern shooter

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • You missed the real reasons people get 308 Garands.

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • I am a weenie and don't like the M1 Garand, or the 30-06 round.

Votes: 1 7.7%
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering if I've been wrong that it's heresy and impractical to have an M1 Garand in 308 instead of 30-06. With military 30-06, I have to be careful of corrosive primers and non-standardization of loads between countries and of course worrying about using commercial ammo. 308 seems to be much more uniform in its surplus varieties, never corrosive, and cheaper to boot. One advantage I thought of for the 30-06 Garand was a semi-auto that can legally use AP ammo, but then I figured a bolt gun with a scope could probably make those shots more accurately.

So the question is, for those of us simply wanting to shoot the M1 Garand for heritage and marksmanship, is the 308 chambering possibly a better choice?

·
Registered
17,218 Posts
A Garand M1 is not in my collection...yet...but when/if I ever get one it will need to be in original condition or I won't be interested. :nod:

·
Since 03-15- 2002
27,713 Posts
I ran into a couple of guys at the range Sunday who just got thier CMP Garands. It was fun showing them how things worked, tips, breakdown etc..
They are a great piece of history.:right:

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,493 Posts
It would depend on my reason for getting it. If I want a true historical collectible, it would be .30-06 - and I would shoot it sparingly.
If I wanted a good shooter, I would go with the .308, for better ammo availability.
I see it as no worse than having a Colt 1911A1 in a non-.45ACP caliber. Sure, it ain't original, but that doesn't make it a bad gun! ;)

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Indeed, one kept for collectibility and preservation should be 30-06. A 308 would only be for a shooter. Question here is if even that justifies it, which I think it does.

·
Since 03-15- 2002
27,713 Posts
Right now, I believe the surplus .308 has the egde on price and availability over the venerable 06. As time goes by, this should be more evedent.

·
Premium Member
1,087 Posts
Yep key reason is cost and availability. CMP has many times run out of 30-06 and now sells goofy stuff in 30-06. The Lake City was the best and pretty much gone. 308 is everywhere as it was and still is a Nato round so it became common. Rick B

1 - 8 of 8 Posts