Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i really like the marlin xlr lever guns like the one previously posted and was thinking about buying one. i do not know too much about the 308 ME but like what i am hear about it. any thoughts on this caliber. i hunt deer and black bear and my shots usually range from 50 - 200+ yds. any thoughts on how this gun will do on larger game say caribou. just want to get some oppinions before i commit

·
Registered
4 Posts
the 308MX is a vary capable deer sized game but as for the bear and carabo you will whant to pick your shots carefuly. the only problem that I have with this round is that hornaday is slow to reles the bulit for hand loading. So you are limited to bulit size. I was looking for somr thing in the308 size but never found anything I liked and ended up whith the 444xlr. you can hand load this round with 180gr. @ 3100fps all the way up ot 405gr. @ 1800fps. the point I am trying to make is that if you are carefull and picky about your shots the 308MX will be just fine.
Wolfpack795

·
Registered
20,562 Posts
If you buy one save your brass because Marlin will drop a gun in a heart beat !!!
I'll spare you of the rifles they've came out with and less than 3 years later there no more.
I'm sure Hornady will continue to manufacture the ammo and speaking of ammo have you priced a box of these cartridges for the XLR's ?
Imagine what they'll cost if Marlin drops these line of rifles and i was told last week by a friend who owns a Gun and pawn shop that ammo is going up 30 or more percent.
It's time to break out the 22's ain't it...A.H

·
Registered
11,239 Posts
High risk cartridge

As with any new cartridge the risk is whether it will make it in the marketplace or disappear as have so many cartridges over the history of firearms. You may wind up with a gun firing a limited availability high priced ammo in a few years. Othewise, please check your reloading manuals and compare this with a 30-06 which is incredibly popular and available after 100 years in the marketplace.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts