Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what have you guys heard of the 308 marlin express?... i love a good lever action and i think it would be good but am a little unsure

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
Marlin rifles are very reliable and I think you will love it.

·
Registered
11,239 Posts
Compare to other cartridges/firearms

Marlin's are just about rock solid and the lever action Marlin will last longer than your muscles and bones.

However, I suggest you take a good look at their
ballistics/the price of their ammunition/your belief the round will succeed in the marketplace and remain available and the price of the firearm itself before making a final decision. The history of firearms is paved with cartridges that just did not catch on for one reason or another.

The big thing, is of course, to really think through a decision to make certain you are in a position to feel satisfied before making the purchase.

·
Registered
15,235 Posts
The article I read on it the cartridge is great being comparable to the .308win.in a lever gun but they said rhat it would be restricted to factory loads as the powder they used is some new progressive burn rate that wont be available to the public and the special plastic tip bullets by hornady wont be available either.That would mean you would have to reload with the same bullets as what are used in the .30-30 and never could reach the performance posted for the .308 Marlin. sam.

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
You could load with spitzer bullets as long as you only put one in the chamber and only ONE in the tube mag.

I'm kinda leery to buy a lever chambered for a new cartridge. Do you remember the .307, gave pretty much the same performance of the .308 marlin. It's dead now!

Here is a link to a Marlin specific forum. there is a section devoted specifically to the .308 marlin cartridge and rifles.

MarlinOwners Forums :: Index

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Actually from what I was reading on the calibers specs in one of my magazine articles (can't remember which one) it actually has higher muzzle velocity with lower pressure than the .308 win does. Which is why I have been curious if they are close enough to the same size that you could use .308 marlin in a gun meant for .308 win.

·
Registered
20,562 Posts
Marlin Leveractions are the finest American made rifle there is period !

Be mindful though if you buy a Marlin in 308 that you'll probably always have to order ammo for it and it's high.

Marlin has dropped more models of rifles from it's manufacturing line up than any gun manufacture I know of, so if sales are slow the gun will be discountinued.

The average cost of Marlins new Stainless/Laminate rifles is $ 600.00 which I think is high.

Would I have one ? In a heartbeat !!! In 35 remington...A.H

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
No.Two different casings. sam.
Thanks for the answer. That is something that I have actually been wondering about since I read the article. Of course I hoped that it would work, but in the end what does it matter. I got quite a surplus of military bulk anyways lol.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts