Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI there,

I'm quite new to reloading and i have recently acquired a new .308 Tikka. I am wondering where i should start. Am i better to buy factory ammo to start or should i just kick off with reloading?

For reloading, what weight projectiles would be a wise place to start? Also please recommend some good powders to use.

Cheers

·
Banned
1,026 Posts
Do you have reloading gear?If so do you have someone close by who can show you how to use it if you dont already know?

It all depends on what you want to do?Reload or buy and shoot then reload the brass you save.

also depends what you are going to hunt?Pigs?goats?deer?

Ive been loading some 308 for a mate for a few years now.He is very happy with the nosler balistic tips in 130gn for general spotlighting or rabbits,cats,foxes.But for anything larger i load him 150gn highland SP.If he ever wanted to use it on deer i would load some rem corelokts or powerpoint wins.

I was using ADI ar2206 powder and have now started using ADI ar2206h and ar2208.Ar2206 has been discontinued.But was a very good powder.

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
We need all the details. What you gonna be shooting, aminals/paper, ranges, barrel length, rifling twist.
Probably best to buy some factory rounds to start, at least gives you a standard to relate to and a supply of reloadable cases.

For reloading, get a good book to start with or check out what powders are available locally, then do a web search for starting loads using those powders; almost all the major powder providers do an online loading chart. Before you touch off that first reload, make yourself familiar with the signs of over-pressure.

I've got a 22", 1:10 that loves 41.8gns IMR 4895 in a Lapua case behind a 167gn lapua scenar.

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
Calaper I would suggest buying a reloading manual and studying up on it before starting. Make sure to pay attention to the safety RULES. This is one area you cant be slack on. I would also recomend listening to both Irishmurphy and Wunhunglo they are both good blokes and I value their advice. Murph' should be able to help you greatly. He not only knows his business but can tell you what powders are available down under. That said bullet selection depends on usage and game. For medium game I like 150 to 168 grain bullets. As far as powder goes I would select a medium slow burning powder. Up here it would be IMR 4064. I would also look into hodgdon varget I havent loaded with it yet but that will soon change.

·
Banned
704 Posts
It has been a long time since I reloaded a .308, so I can't give you specific advice. I think I used 4895 powder but... For equipment I think the Lee stuff is good. The Classic Cast press is nice, and I think their dies are ok too. They make a nice cheap case length trimmer. I would not use their powder measure or powder scale. Spend a bit more and get a quality balance beam type (expense of digital not worth it in my view). I have a Redding that has lasted over 40 years. I hear Lee has a good reloading manual but have not personally used it.

Nosler has on line reloading information and note which load was most accurate. See here:

Nosler: bullets, ammunition, rifles, brass, and reloading data.

This site as a lot of good cut to he chase information in particular how to load the .308 for accuracy. Some good info here on the best powders, primer, cases, and bullets for accuracy.

.308 Winchester Cartridge Guide

I think I would get good cases and load from day one rather than buying factory ammo first.

Here are some links to the powder manufacturers, and most have on line reloading data. I like the Hodgdon site.

Reloading Powders

For bullets I like Sierra boat tails, and Nosler Partitions for larger game.

Hope that helps you get started.

Ron

·
Registered
535 Posts
Calaper...If that gun is bran new you might want to look into some barrel break in procedures. Barnes reloading manual #3 has a good section on this and some of the after market barrel manufacturers have suggested break in procedures on their web sites. I have been told that this is the single most important thing to down the road accuracy you can do.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So sorry i haven't replied, i couldn't find my post for ages. Basically i am going to be using my rounds on pigs and occassionaly deer. I will take murphs advice on that one. Also i would like to shoot a bit of paper at about 200 - 300m, would you suggest?

·
Banned
704 Posts
So sorry i haven't replied, i couldn't find my post for ages. Basically i am going to be using my rounds on pigs and occassionaly deer. I will take murphs advice on that one. Also i would like to shoot a bit of paper at about 200 - 300m, would you suggest?
For hunting I would suggest the following as a starting point:

150 grain Sierra spitzer boat tails (#2125), Federal 210m primers, IMR 4064 powder, starting lower, but working up to 45.5 grains if primers look good.

For target shooting:

175 grain Sierra Match Kings (#2275), working up to 41.7 grains of Varget powder, and perhaps working up further to 43 grains if pressure signs look good. Same Federal primers. This load has been used to win championships, and the shooter says he seats the bullets so they are 0.018" off the lands. You will have to do that by trial and error, based on measuring the length when you first see the land marks when you chamber a freshly loaded round, and then make the round overall length .018" shorter. The shooter reports using 43 grains, but Sierra recommends a max of 41.7, so it will be your judgement. If you don't want to buy different powders, you could also try this 175 grain Match King bullet with the 4064. Max load is listed as 42.8 grains with it.

The above comes from the link I gave you earlier. Within it is this very helpful link. It is the Sierra roadmap to loading the .308.

http://www.6mmbr.citymaker.com/f/Sierra308Win.pdf

If you don't have a reloading manual yet, here is an online one. You need to read these manuals and understand what you are doing and double check my numbers before you start. Hope that helps.

http://www.lapua.com/fileadmin/user_upload/esitteet/VihtavuoriInternationalReloguide2008.pdf

Ron

·
Registered
11,280 Posts
hornady interlock 150 gr and 4895 powder good place to start and a good all
around load for hunting and target shooting easy to get everywhere.
no muss no fuss load

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks Ron and RunriverRun. I am going to start off shooting with reloads from the word go. I don't fell the need to buy factory ammo as i won't really be using it. I'll look at the manuals Ron, thanks alot for your advice. I'm learning more every day!

Thanks

1 - 11 of 11 Posts