.308 vs 6.5 Creedmoor

Discussion in 'General Rifle' started by LeftHandShooter, Sep 11, 2020.

Which one should I keep.

1. .308

17 vote(s)
    73.9%
  2. 6.5

6 vote(s)
    26.1%
  1. Have several.

2. ChaZam

ChaZam G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

And PS LeftHandShooter, in your poll I voted that you should keep the 6.5 Creedmoor. Due to it's lower recoil, it's certainly more forgiving to shoot with your bad shoulder. I wouldn't be surprised if the Savage was inherently the most accurate of the 2 choices also.

3. Becks42

Becks42 G&G Enthusiast

NW PA
    I have a TC Venture Weather Shield in 6.5 Creedmoor. Also bought my son a TC Compass in 6.5 Creedmoor. Absolutely love shooting these guns. Low recoil. Shoots pretty flat. My son loves it as well and was able to drop a PA whitetail with his last hunting season. Granted, I've never had the opportunity to shoot a .308 so I can't give my opinion on that caliber but I truly love shooting my 6.5 Creedmoor. If you have the chance, put a few rounds through the Creedmoor. See what you think.

4. FortyXDM

FortyXDM G&G Evangelist Staff Member

I hadn't seen your posts before. Glad to have you here. We need more gal opinions here. :)

5. Becks42

Becks42 G&G Enthusiast

NW PA
    Thank you, FortyXDM!

FortyXDM and ChaZam like this.
  6. rangerjd

rangerjd G&G Evangelist

If recoil is an issue at all, go with the 6.5 Creedmoor, but in all other instances, I'd chose the .308. I have 4 rifles chamber in .308, so I may be partial. Lol

I am looking for a 6.5 Creedmoor as we speak, just because I want one, but I love all the possibilities of the .308 round. My son who lives in Alaska, hunts everything with a .308. He's only had to shoot 1 moose twice, and he said he probably didn't need to. I sent my grandson a 6.5 Creedmoor for Christmas, he's 12, because of less recoil and my son said he's taking the 6.5 sheep hunting this year instead of his Ruger Scout .308, because some of the shots sheep hunting are fairly long, but up until now, he's always used the .308. Right now .308 ammo, here in Washington state is very hard to come by, but I have a ton of .308 ammo, so I'm not too worried, yet.

By the way, I primarily hunt Blacktail deer, Mule deer, elk, bear and cougar. I don't see anything wrong with 6.5, I just like the .308 better. I know and understand it and it's limitations.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2020
    jwrauch, ChaZam and Jaison like this.
  7. rangerjd

rangerjd G&G Evangelist

One of the reasons I sent my grandson, in Alaska, a 6.5 Creedmoor is, not only does he have some problems with my son's Ruger Scout in .308, but my daughter in law also has a difficult time shooting his Scout, so I thought maybe the 6.5 would be good for her to use as well. I bought the T/C Compass for them and they love it. My son says it's a tack driver with the right ammo.

ChaZam, Jaison and austinjoe13 like this.
  8. Local gun show this weekend - small but still a gun show.

Think I'll take the .308 and the 60 shells I have for trade bait.

austinjoe13 and LittleRascle like this.
  9. jerry

jerry Since 03-15- 2002 Forum Contributor

USA
    Flat lands and density is what hurts is in the mid west. Mostly shotgun slug and straight wall case requirements.

I can however coyote hunt with anything I want on private land.

Sent from my iPhone using Gun and Game mobile app

Jaison and LittleRascle like this.
  10. BigEd63

BigEd63 G&G Evangelist

Arkansas
    Well now that I'm working on a AR-10 platform build I may do another upper in 6.5CM to see how accurate i can get one and push the range of it in a semi-auto rifle.

LittleRascle likes this.
  11. A guy expressed interest in the rifle at the gun show and we came to a mutual agreed price, so the .308 is now gone. I talked to several people there and all said for shoulder issues go with the 6.5.

I’m happy but now miss my gun. It’s like a child leaving the house. Oh wait! My son comes back once a week for dinner, conversation, and to do laundry.
    And sometimes borrow tools or ask me to borrow and then ask if easier if I just go to his place and do it.

rangerjd and LittleRascle like this.
  12. rangerjd

rangerjd G&G Evangelist

Sounds like you made a good decision. As I said in my original post, if recoil is an issue at all, I'd go with the 6.5. I have a Savage 10 in .308, that is the best shooting rifle I own, Savage makes some good rifles, even their budget one.

I'm still looking for a 6.5 Creedmoor. Right now I can find 6.5 ammo everywhere and .308 is almost impossible to find.

13. HANDS DOWN THE .308, If I wanted a 6.5mm Bullet I would go with the .260 Remington it's 6.5 / 08 Derived from the .308 like the 7mm / O8. I shoot an M1A & Remington 700 & Mossberg Patriot in .308.

14. FortyXDM

BEST REPLY:
    So....you have two rifles you have owned for some time and shot 3 rounds through one of them.
    A) Shoot a box through each...then decide.
    B) Even better.........send them both to me with extra ammo, I will test them and write up a detailed review.
    :D

LittleRascle and Huey Rider like this.
  15. Huey Rider

Huey Rider G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

16. You didn’t mention anything about returning the rifles...?

LittleRascle likes this.
  17. FortyXDM

EYE..........Forgot !

Huey Rider likes this.

18. I'm betting the rifle you like most would take years of testing...?

19. FortyXDM

Now that is called ..... WISDOM !!!!

Huey Rider likes this.
  20. Comes with age...

...or so I'm told.

FortyXDM likes this.