Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello and Happy Holidays to everyone, this is my first post.

At one time Weatherby made a Mark 5 in a heavy barrel .308 Winchester but I do not see it offered any longer.

I would like recommendations on a rifle in .308 Winchester that has a heavy, possibly fluted barrel and is considered a target grade gun. Our local gunshop had one and I passed it up. I came back, the gun was gone and the gunshop closed up a couple of days later. Thank you in advance.

Thank You,

Michael and Jane Green
[email protected]

·
Registered
119 Posts
Savage FP's are good, as long as you replace the stock, preferably with McMillian, or you can buy it with a McMillian on it. Remington 700 Police rifles are also very good. Any mid-grade Remmy would work fine, as long as you want to put a little work into it. But as always, depends on your budget. Weatherby still does make a heavy barreled .308 called the Vangaurd Varmint Special. Weatherby also make the Weatherby TRR(Threat Response Rifle) for about $1500. Just don't know where you could get ahold of one. I've read about it shooting .44 MOA. Another I'd consider that is made by Weatherby are the Howa Varminter Supremes. Good shooting rifles. If you've got a higher budget (around $3000) I'd look into the TacOps Company. I've heard they make the best target grade rifles out there. Hope my info helps atleast a little. If you have anymore questions feel free to ask.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you

Freakingout,

Thank you for the information it will be very helpful. I'll look into what you have recommended. Michael

·
Registered
11,922 Posts
The TRR is a version of the Mk V, if that's what you have your heart set on.

I do believe you can get heavy barreled 308 rifles by all the major boplt action manufacturers, only one I know of that doesn't offer one is Mossberg. Savage, Remington, Winchester, Howa, Weatherby, Tikka, CZ, Ruger, and more.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Remington 700 VLS:
Remington Model 700â„¢ VLS Specifications

Remington 700 VFS:
Remington Model 700â„¢ VSF Specifications

Savage M12BVSS:
Savage Arms 12 Series Varmint Model 12BVSS

Savage VSS Varminter:
Savage Arms 12 Series Varmint Model 12VSS

Savage M10 FP Choate:
Savage Arms Law Enforcement Series Model 10FP-LE2A

also with Mcmillan:
Savage Arms Tactical Model 10FP McMillan

and HS Precision:
Savage Arms Law Enforcement Series Model 10FP-LE2A

Steyr, an excellent choice:
Steyr Arms: STEYR SSG 04

Steyr Arms: STEYR SSG 69

And Howa had some bargin rifles that have stout actions and good barrels:
Legacy Sports International: Product Catalog

There's just a few to consider. Really depends on your price range.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Actually, the Weatherby Vanguard is made by Howa, not the other way around. This seems to be a popular misconception. I hear stories about how the Vanguard was junk, so Weatherby sold the patant to the Japanese.

·
Registered
314 Posts
ive got the savage 12bvss in .308 and it IS a shooter!!!!!! i have played with loads and it likes speer 125 tnt hp's. at 100 yds it will hold 5 shots on a dine . and it has been used for 500m sil's. off a rest it will keep all shots on the end of a 4x4 at 550 yds....
it has a hvy laminated stock and a 26 in s.s fluted bdl... i have shot it up to remingtons and people cant beleave how this thing shoots.

·
Registered
10,770 Posts
.308 fluted barrel

Tex-Guns.com has a Savage .308 S/S fluted barrel used for 519.00. Has the synthetic stock. 1-512-443-6106, fax 443-2257. I've been looking for one too, been looking at the Remmy's and was considering the Savage or Howa. I'm wanting to drop one the knoxx.com Axion stock. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
.308 Heavy Barrel

Thank you for the great replies. This is an outstanding help. Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. Michael and Jane Green

·
Premium Member
30,730 Posts
Thank you for the great replies. This is an outstanding help. Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. Michael and Jane Green
these guys are good! i ask em stuff all the time:09: oh yeah ,welcome aboard!

·
Registered
741 Posts
Sgt. Mike,

Don't bother with a fluted barrel. Fluting offers no advantages. If you don't believe me, ask McMillan. They will flute a barrel if you like, but will tell you they are just taking your money.

You have a perfect opportunity to build a rifle. When I want a new rifle, I check out the pawn shops and buy a rifle for the action. Then have it re-barreled, do the stock yourself, and put on a decent trigger. Lots of fun, you end up with a "custom" (or at least personalized) rifle, and it's cheaper than buying a new one.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts