Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
11,918 Posts
Not exactly, but I think you'd want to use a 240gr match bullet for starters. Such bullets are used in a round called the 300 Whisper. I by no means am in the know about such things, but you might accomplish what you want by using a 300 whisper loading and packing the rest of the case with cornmeal or other form of packing.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK what about another question. I want a new rifle, my Rem 788 is over 20 years old. I use it on pigs, goats and roos. I was thiking about going up to the 3006, but reading the foriums this calibre seems not so popular everyone suggests the 308. Is this the case? Seems odd with the 3006 being a more powerful choice.

What do you use on pigs there?

·
Registered
11,918 Posts
30-06 and 308 are extremely similar. The only advantage to 30-06 over 308 is a little bit of power with normal bullet loads, a lower normal operating pressure, and I think it stands out using the heaviest of bullets. But 180gr and under 308 should be just as good for all practical uses.

·
Registered
847 Posts
We used a cast lead projectile with wax and from memory shotgun powder. From memory it hasn't got enough grunt to use the jacketed proj. and stay subsonic.

Stephen

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Did you use it for game or just plinking? What is the favourite calibre there for wild pigs?

·
Registered
11,918 Posts
In the states folks usually use short range heavy loads like 35 Rem, 44 Magnum, and such on the low side, and go up to 444 marlin, 45-70, and such for better stopping power. 30-06 and 308 are probably also respected. Folks from around here can certainly say better than I.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Pig's over dog's if we couldn't stick 'em. In other words from eight to ten feet, we put them on paper at twenty five yard's and they grouped ok but knock down power is questionable at that range. But they worked well on the pig's in close which is what we made them for.
On caliber with pig's it really comes down to how you hunt them, if it's over dog's you don't want anything to loud. I know plenty of pig's are taken with the .22 over dog's but if your just shooting without dog's the sky is the limit. Plenty taken with the 243 on up, for straight shooting I wouldn't start with anything less than that. A lot depend's on the type of country your hunting in.

Stephen

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
The .308 is less finiky about what it eats. It's an extremely accurate round and almost anything you feed it works well without having to sight in for different brands. 30-06 is a more versatile caliber for hand loaders. It can be loaded down or close to a factory .300 mag on the high side.

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
Stevo said:
OK what about another question. I want a new rifle, my Rem 788 is over 20 years old. I use it on pigs, goats and roos. I was thiking about going up to the 3006, but reading the foriums this calibre seems not so popular everyone suggests the 308. Is this the case? Seems odd with the 3006 being a more powerful choice.

What do you use on pigs there?
i have a 788 in 243 win. its just as old and i wouldn't give it up for the world.
the 308 has plenty of what you need for thses critters, the 30-06 is a nice cal. seems to have been forgoten after all the new mags came out.
as far as pigs go, when i was a boy i used to hunt them with my uncle in the bear lake area of California. i used two Cals. one being a 30-30 win. and the other being a 7x57 mauser.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Colt,
Have you had any problems with case stretching with your 788? i read an article recently saying hot loads in the 788 are no good due to the rear locking system.

G

·
when I was a boy growing up in Alaska it seemed like everyone had a 30 ought 6 rifle and/or a 12 gauge pump shotgun..

220 grain bullets seemed to be the popular choice :guitar:

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
I had a 788 in .308. they debuted in 1967 in four cals: .222 rem, .22-250, .30-30 and .44 magnum.. $84.95 US dollars. The .308 was introduced in 1969 ( summer of love, first grade for me ) 1969 was also the first year left handed 788`s ( in 6mm and .308 only ) Oddly, the lefty 788`s ejected to the right still. The 788 was discontinued in 1983, and stocks were fully depleted by 1985. None of this answers you question, but I miss my 788 and felt like a trip down memory lane. Yours would probably a good bit more than 20 years of age, but if it was anything like mine, it will still be serving you well in another 20. Also, no pig I ever shot with my 788 in .308 ever got up again.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I actually I bought it in Sydney in 1980 for $180 Aus. If you liked yours so much why did you get rid of it?

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
Weeeeeeeeeeelll, I was baby sitting it ( for about 6 years or something ) I coulda bought it, should have, the guy practically gave it away. But, I thought how heavy it was after carrying it for a few hours, how much the detachable mag annoyed me at night if i chose not to fire and removed the live round from the chamber, I had to either put it in my pocket of remove the mag and reload it.. But basically, I was an idiot... I eventually bought a rossi .308 break action which I am not happy with, but I also bought a Zastava .223 which I am very happy with, well after I polished the bolt and sorted it out I was. The .223 is more versatile if I am being completely honest with my self about where I shoot. I will eventually sort my brazillian friend out and it will forfill the task I bought it for: to grab off the top of the shooting wagon if I see a pig further out or bigger than my .223 can manage. Or I`ll sell the chunk of crap. Could go either way.

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
Logansdad said:
when I was a boy growing up in Alaska it seemed like everyone had a 30 ought 6 rifle and/or a 12 gauge pump shotgun..

220 grain bullets seemed to be the popular choice :guitar:
What more do ya need?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts