Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The old .32 S&W and .32 S&W Long (a.k.a. .32 Colt New Police) are the objects of frequent laughs and a source of derision. This is ridiculous.

in any revolver chambered for the .327 Fed Mag,, .32 H&R Magnum, or the .32 S&W Long (Colt New Police) can be employed in the field as a "garden gun". This is when you walk in your fields/country garden with your holstered revolver seeking moles and other crop-destroying vermin (up to the size of skunk) and other nuisance animals.

These are low-powered rounds that are more effective than a .22 Long Rifle in a handgun without tearing up the landscape around your carrots and/or begonias.

The .32 S&W Long (Colt New Police) is particularly adept at killing badgers, foxes, coyotes, feral dogs, and similar-sized intruders. (Your chickens will appreciate the lower report of the 98-grain lead round). These rounds were used by Police matron of the 1920s through the early 1960s and often stopped men from committing nefarious crimes, so I wouldn't doubt their effectiveness.

The inherent accuracy of the rounds (and the revolvers that fire them) are more fun than the proverbial "barrel of monkeys" when you're out woods walking. Pot meat can be brought back to camp and vicious intruders can be stopped in their tracks by these handy, lightweight handguns.

It is a mistake to relegate these revolver rounds to the past as useless and ineffective for modern purposes. Trust me when I tell you that these old rounds, indeed, have their niche.

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
I too think that the .32 revolver needs some love. I have a few old Iver Johnson, H&R and S&W revolvers in .32 caliber. The S&W is a Model 30, 4" bbl. I also have the .327 Federal Mag; it is a nice shooting revolver, Taurus.327. What I like too, is that the .32 S&W, .32 S&W Long, .32 HRM as well as the .32ACP can be shot in the Taurus .327 revolver

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I have a confession to make:

A number of years ago I was working as a Security Officer in Northeast Portland, OR. I was stationed at an 24-hour Arco Station/Convenience Store. (This was a particularly dangerous area with a lot of drug dealing and violent crime that continued around the clock). I had the mid-shift and changed watch at 0200 hours.

Many were the nights that I kept an H&R Model 732 (chambered in .32 S&W Long) with a 2.5" barrel in my police jacket pocket. It may not have been much but it sure beat the hell out of harsh words and telephoning the Portland Police Bureau if I needed backup.

·
Registered
6,139 Posts
i was interested in the .327 fed mag when it first came out, if i found a good deal on one i might pick t up.

that said i still kinda have a soft spot for a 9mm revolver so that would probably come first.

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
RIA makes a cheap little .38 snubby, I wish they would chamber it in 9mm. its the M206, at about $250 its very.. "Affordable"
RI A does make a 9mm revolver.
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Revolver

ROCK ISLAND AL9.0 9MM REVOLVER, BLUE - 9231B

PRODUCT DETAILS
DETAILS
  • Series/Collection: AL9.0
  • Action: Single/Double
  • Caliber/Gauge: 9mm Luger
  • Capacity: 6
  • Sight: Fixed Ramp Front, Fixed Rear
  • Grip Type: Black Rubber
  • Trigger Pull: 4 to 6-1/2 lb Single Action, 11-1/2 to 13 lb Double Action
  • Barrel Finish: Blue
  • Frame Finish: Blue
  • Barrel Length: 3"
  • Overall Length: 6-3/4"
  • Weight: 1.5 lb
  • Overall Height: 4.09"
  • Overall Width: 1-1/2"
  • Twist Rate: 1:455mm
  • Barrel Grooves: 6
  • Barrel Type: Full Shroud

Reactions: neophyte

·
Registered
6,139 Posts
RI A does make a 9mm revolver. View attachment 174733
ROCK ISLAND AL9.0 9MM REVOLVER, BLUE - 9231B

PRODUCT DETAILS
DETAILS
  • Series/Collection: AL9.0
  • Action: Single/Double
  • Caliber/Gauge: 9mm Luger
  • Capacity: 6
  • Sight: Fixed Ramp Front, Fixed Rear
  • Grip Type: Black Rubber
  • Trigger Pull: 4 to 6-1/2 lb Single Action, 11-1/2 to 13 lb Double Action
  • Barrel Finish: Blue
  • Frame Finish: Blue
  • Barrel Length: 3"
  • Overall Length: 6-3/4"
  • Weight: 1.5 lb
  • Overall Height: 4.09"
  • Overall Width: 1-1/2"
  • Twist Rate: 1:455mm
  • Barrel Grooves: 6
  • Barrel Type: Full Shroud

Yes, im aware of that one, its like 2.5x as expensive as the m206.

Which is why i stated that i wished they would simply chamber the .m206 in 9mm, offer it for approximately the same price as the.38 version and its a winner for the millions of people that already own and shoot 9mm semi autos.

I would use this as a backpack, truck, boat, camp type gun, one which i wouldnt have to worry to much about scratching up or losing it. plus its small and caliber commonality is nice.

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
A Ruger single action in .327 mag oughta be about perfect for a walking around gun, just keep some of the good stuff in your pocket for threats.
I have lusted for the Single Seven Ruger 327 since it came out. Exactly the same size as my Single Six convertible. We did a bunch if chronograph testing of 22 mag ammo in revolvers including the many new short barrel offerings. We found dome interesting results. First as a general rule, the little NAA with the 1 1/8 inch and shorter barrel is only about 100 fps faster than 22 or, not much value at all. The 2 inch barrel was marginally better, but not by much. The 4 inch 22 mag was only about as powerful as a 22 rifle, about 160 foot pounds at most.
Once the barrel got to 5.5 inches did the power get to 200 foot pounds about the same as a snub nose 38. Our tests were about the same as the Ballistics By the Inch, their data below.

Rectangle Slope Plot Font Parallel

So, I was looking for the 327 and since I also had a 32 acp looked at them also. They are similar to the 32SW mentioned here. Their power is pretty low. Charts here.

Still searching for that manic 327 we looked at the 32 H and R mag often said on par with a 38. Results here.

The 4 inch would get 200 foot pounds and the 5.5 would get 240. Comparing my 22 mag to the 32 H and R mag was interesting. My Single Six was getting about 225 foot pounds co
Rectangle Slope Font Plot Parallel

Compared to the 32 mag. I gained new respect for the 22 mag. The 327 is of course a different animal. In my 5.5 comparison, it would get 650-=700 foot pounds, up in the WOW factor range. BBTI charts for the 357 show the following.Putting the 357With a 5.5 inch barrel into the 700-800foot pound range. Both with my h more power than most of us need.
Rectangle Slope Plot Font Line

Bottom line. I still want the 327 Fed for the versatility. For most needs the 22 mag will do better than the old 32s, and generally a lot cheaper. And if I need bigger, the 357mag takes much bigger bullets,but my need for them is rare. Hope I find one of the Single Sevens. The data looks great.

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
Jerry has the new Charter Professional in 32 H and R mag, good reports as I recall. Jerry?

Reactions: K75RT and neophyte

·
Registered
476 Posts
These days it is less expensive to cast your own bullets and reload .32s with an economical powder like Bullseye, than to use and replace .22 LR at current prices. I use my .32 autopistol and revolvers for the same purposes that " normal people" would use a .22 LR for. In the majority of cases the .32 does a better job. Favorites are a Colt Courier 3-inch and a 1914 Colt M1903 Type III, but I have a dozen or so others too and spread the .32 love around so none of them feel neglected.

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
These days it is less expensive to cast your own bullets and reload .32s with an economical powder like Bullseye, than to use and replace .22 LR at current prices. I use my .32 autopistol and revolvers for the same purposes that " normal people" would use a .22 LR for. In the majority of cases the .32 does a better job. Favorites are a Colt Courier 3-inch and a 1914 Colt M1903 Type III, but I have a dozen or so others too and spread the .32 love around so none of them feel neglected.
Except for the primer, most handguns are still cheap to reload. If you have to pay 10-12 cents plus tax plus shipping for a primer...that makes plinking less fun than before.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Except for the primer, most handguns are still cheap to reload. If you have to pay 10-12 cents plus tax plus shipping for a primer...that makes plinking less fun than before.
On current primer cost and supply, you are certainly correct. I operated a commercial reloading business in the 1980s and when Reagan was POTUS bought primers by the skid. When I sold the business I kept a lifetime supply bought cheap and stacked deep, along with a Magma casting machine and Star loaders set up for .38 Spl., 9mm and .45 ACP.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts