.32 S&W ?

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by billy, May 8, 2008.

1. billy

billy G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

does anyone own a firearm in this caliber?

2. Used to have a model 14 smith in 32 S&W long.Was a top little target gun for centrefire matches.My highest score was 563.

3. Hey Billy,
    I have a .32 S&W short, Hopkin and Allen Police Safety, 5 shot revolver made earily 1900's, chrome plated, was a 18th B-day gift. Does that count?

4. Eddie L.

Eddie L. Guest

yep, I have three 32s. Two are old 32 S&W Long. One is 32 HMR. The 32 HMR is a converted S&W model 31. The cylinders had been rechambered from S&W to HMR when I purchased it.Over a thousand rounds through it and still tight. It is my carry gun. Small, light, and accurate with a 4" barrel.
    Needless to say I like the caliber. I've others in other calibers but those and my old 22 Browning Buckmark with the pencil barrel are about all I shoot in handguns. My grandsons graduated from the Ruger Mk IIs to my 32 revolvers and did well.
    Each of my grandchildren, nephews, and nieces each get a handgun when they are born and arrive home. 4 of the 8 are 32s. The others would be if I could afford the good ones now.
    Any questions I can answer. I may not know the answer but in my library I maybe able to find an answer.
    In fact I need a 32 barrel for a Colt Police Positive. The revolver is an old model with the thread being .432 to the bottom of the threads. I've bought others but the later Colt Police Positive barrels have a larger threaded diameter.
    Thanks and God Bless
    eddie

5. mitch_mckee

mitch_mckee Guest

I have a Harrington Richardson in .32 S&W Long. Bought it in 1982. Had 1/2 box of ammo through it. Still have the other half.

6. squirrelblaster

squirrelblaster G&G Enthusiast Forum Contributor

i just got my new (to me) Nagant revolver home! and i hear it can shoot the 32 S&W

7. Eddie L.

Eddie L. Guest

Suprise of all suprises. I purchased one of the 1895s and was not about to pay for the Nagant ammo. I've a gunsmith friend in Florida. He said both 32 S&W and 32 HMR was being shot in them. However the cases showed some swelling.
    Upon shooting both S&W and HMR I found that the S&W swelled the brass slightly but the HMR did not. A mike showed the HMR did swell slightly.
    You could reload the HMR bud I doubt the S&W brass would reload easily.
    I do not remember the brand of cartridges but the HMR had a slightly thicker case to which I atribute the lack of swelling. The S&W cartridges were some surplus I purchased 20 or so years ago.
    If the double action on the Nagant was good I would shoot it often.
    Thanks and God Bless
    eddie

8. squirrelblaster

squirrelblaster G&G Enthusiast Forum Contributor

^how is the DA on yours? its HORRID on mine. i mean its so bad that i cant even pull the trigger with my off hand!

9. Eddie L.

Eddie L. Guest

I never use double action. Normally a revolver can be disassembled and the components stoned and fitted. I have never tried with this. I have two and neither have a usable doubleaction. To try to hold a target in your sights is impossible in double action. The extra pressure to move the cylinder forward for the seal is new to me.
    I suspect it can be made better. Better, not good. They are nice in single action. Mine are to all intents and purposes single action only. If someone knows better, I surely would like to hear from them.
    Thanks and God Bless
    eddie

10. muskrat

muskrat G&G Regular

I have a S&W Regulation Police in .32 long. Gun was made in the mid 20's...shoots great and is still nice and tight.

11. rfc357

rfc357 Guest

Colt Police Positive, circa 1923. Fun to shoot. Popgun.

12. I have four of 'em, all Smith & Wesson J-frame 6-shot revolvers. One battered old pre-model 30, one mint pre-30 made in the 1910's, a nickel 2" 30-1 (my favorite) and a 2" blue 30-1.

I shoot the 30-1 with .32 Long reloads (Hornady swaged lead bullet & Red Dot powder)or with cheapie .32 ACP ball ammo. Factory .32 revolver ammo is priced too high for me.

13. I have a Iver & Johnson .32 S&W. It's a blued break action DA 5 shot revolver. Engraving say made by Iver Johnson Arms and Cycle Works. This is a second variant after the switch from black powder to smokeless.

14. That is what I shoot .32 S&W Long out of.

15. Eddie L.

Eddie L. Guest

I shoot 32 S&W and 32 HMR in one. After a smith assured me it was safe.
    The S&W brass swelled a little and the HMR only showed swelling with a mike.
    Probably no more than in my S&W /revolver. I wouldn't hot rod the loads past a standard load for the 32 HMR.
    I only shoot single action as the double action is so horrible.
    Others may say different, this is me and mine.