336 Scope Mounting

Discussion in 'Marlin' started by dothedrew57, Aug 30, 2010.

1. dothedrew57

dothedrew57 G&G Evangelist

So my Marlins have finally captured my attention away from my Mosin. I have my 795 all squared away. What kind of options do I have for mounting a scope on my 336? I really like my iron sights so I would like to be able to use them too.

2. DWFan

DWFan Handgunner Forum Contributor

Last edited: Aug 30, 2010

3. big shrek

big shrek G&G Evangelist

Even though they designed the 336 to be scoped...I think they look WAY better with a tang sight :)

4. texnmidwest

texnmidwest Sir Loin of Beef Forum Contributor

YES!!!!!

Finally, a man who talks sense!!!! If someone doesn't like the iron sights then a tang sight is the way to go on a lever gun. Optics are a great option and I have a scope on my marlin. BUT I do not believe in see thru mounts. Bad compromise of design trying to be appealing to everyone. JMHO

5. big shrek

big shrek G&G Evangelist

Marbles tang peep
    [​IMG]
    Installed
    [​IMG]

Pedersoli Ladder Sight (Creedmore/Soule)
    [​IMG]

Installed
    [​IMG]

6. texnmidwest

7. dothedrew57

dothedrew57 G&G Evangelist

How reliable are the see thru scope mounts? I just want see thru's because I have some nice glo sights on my rifle and want to be able to use them for quick shots but i also want a scope because I find it more fun to shoot with scopes plus at longer ranges obviously they help.

8. big shrek

big shrek G&G Evangelist

Decent, but here's the hook about using see-thru's...you end up with a scope higher above the barrel, which can lead to odd parrellax problem with distance shooting.

Once you sight it in at a certain range, it will be Dead On at that range.
    You then have to ignore your parrellax adjuster & shoot at different
    ranges to find out how high/low it will be at various other distances.

Mil-Dot scopes make that kind of work a LOT easier, but you have to memorize the distance variations.

Although, in Florida...since it's heavy brush in most places, rare to shoot over 100 yards.

The Ladder/Soule type of sight, you just mark the ranges that it shoots on it with a paint pen.
    If you do it in 50-yards increments, it makes for fast, easy adjustments :)
    However, if you do that, it's set for ONE specific type of ammo. Other weight bullets will act differently.

9. texnmidwest

Great explanations guys!