Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
923 Posts
From what I have read it is a true sledgehammer on game and not on your shoulder. Since I use a .308 on everything except moose/grizz. I would use this for the same and moose/grizz. Ruger makes a M77 chambered in .338 Federal that I think I am going to pick up.

·
Chief Troll B' Gone
4,625 Posts
The .338 Federal seems like an excellent little cartridge, from what I've seen. Should be good for all NA game up to and including moose, you would probably want something with a little more oomph for the great bears and bison. I know for the type of hunting I do, it'd make a dandy hog rifle!

·
Freedom Zealot
33,733 Posts
Moose has one. Maybe he can shed some light.

·
Registered
899 Posts
It's looks good enough to me that I may build .338 fed. rather than a .338-06 or .35 whelen that I have been contemplating.

·
Registered
535 Posts
I've been looking real hard at the old 358 winchester. Same idea only with a 35 cal. bullet. I never have figured out why this round never caught on better than it did. It's almost as good as a 338 and with a heavier bullet. I think the 338 Fed. is about 2.2 inches flatter at 300 yards but uses a 15gr lighter bullet to do this.

·
Banned
623 Posts
I bought a .338 Fed a couple of months ago to use mainly for deer and hog hunting. I didn't get a chance to use on a deer it this past season, but did shoot it enough to form an opinion, and I like it a lot. I bought a new 77 Hawkeye in SS and got a Boyd's laminate stock for it. I settled on a Burris FFII 2-7x35 with 3P#4 reticle and the scope seems to match the rifle very well. It shoots the 200gr Fusions very well, had several groups 1.5" and under, so I never even fired the 185 gr loads I have too. I also own all it's cousins the .358 Win, 338/06 and .35 Whelen and think in the Hawkeye the .338 Fed might be the lightest in recoil of the bunch. I probably used it more deer hunting after getting it last season than anything else I have, if that tells you anything. It's a great combo CXP2 and CXP3 caliber that doesn't have overly stout recoil.

·
Registered
11,239 Posts
Don't want to start a riot, but . . . .

I'm lost on how Federal can call this a .338 Federal somewhat implying they thought this up on their own. Give credit to the wildcatters
and especially to the first person to publish about this idea should anyone have access to older literature and perhaps find this person's writing.

This is a good idea and I hope it does well in the marketplace. Personally, I have long wondered why the .338-06 did not get "its place in the sun" as it has been a great wildcat cartridge for many years and deserved more publicity/acceptance.

Anyway, congrats to Federal for bringing this idea to the mainstream
purchasers of firearms and ammo. Maybe this fall we will see a larger number of manufacturers chambering products for this round.

·
Registered
606 Posts
My dad has one. I think it recoils more than a 300 win mag hoever it is avery light tikka. It sure did do a number on the moose he shot this fall. Blew a good sized hole through and there was a chunk of rib bone lying on the offside of the hide. You could stick about three fingers into the exit hole. As for trajectory and the such i would not put it past 300 yards. Also if federal didi not put their own name on it then what should they call it? The 338 wildcatters express? hehe

·
Registered
899 Posts
I think the reason the .35 whelen and .338-06 and like didnt really take off was due to the release of the magnums, .338wm, .300wm, 7mm rm and so on. That began an era of fast and flat trajectory and the accompanied downrange energy. It has lasted decades. Only recently is the industry going back to all the fine early cartridges, maybe tweaking them a bit to gain interest etc.

·
Banned
623 Posts
I think the reason the .35 whelen and .338-06 and like didnt really take off was due to the release of the magnums, .338wm, .300wm, 7mm rm and so on. That began an era of fast and flat trajectory and the accompanied downrange energy. It has lasted decades. Only recently is the industry going back to all the fine early cartridges, maybe tweaking them a bit to gain interest etc.
An excellent point, and a shame it's worked like that. I own both a .35 Whel and .338/06 and they both have less felt recoil to me than any of my .300 mags and I'd prefer one of them over any .300 mag against anything with teeth and me in their "space" any day!

·
Registered
606 Posts
To Nathan

Yes but if we actually used nomenclature for cartridges then we would actually have a system. It would not be manufacturers descretion as to what it was called. I agree it would limit confusion but a simple comparison at the local gun shop should clear that up. Too bad all cartridges arnt named on demensions such as 6.5X55, 7X64, 8X57 and other classic cartridges.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I bought a TC Pro Hunter in .338 Federal last year. I had the trigger replaced and put a Leupold scope on it. This past deer season, I took two whitetails with it. One, just over 200 yards and the other about 175. Both of them dropped in their tracks. I was using the Federal Fusion 200 grain load.

This gun and load is very impressive and I am totally happy with the accuracy and knock down power the .338 has and all that without a brutal recoil. I am not particularly sensitive to recoil, but even at that, this caliber is a total pleasure to shoot. It was mild enough that I watched both deer through the scope after I shot. The second one (biggest buck I've ever taken) folded up, instantly dead and never even quivered once he hit the ground. I had read and been told that this round was a sledgehammer and I am totally convinced after these experiences.

I have several rifles and various calibers I like to shoot and hunt with. I love my .308's and .300 WSM for deer. My favorite deer rifle is a relatively inexpensive, Tikka T3 in .270 WSM (another impressive caliber) that is incredibly accurate. But, after this past season's experience with the .338 Federal, I am convinced this round is one of the most logical and useful calibers of all those developed and/or legitimized in the past 20 years.

·
Registered
11,239 Posts
Well, actually credit should go to the

wildcatter who first stuffed a .338 bullet in a .308 case.
Federal sort of implies via the name that they have come up with a new idea when, in fact, they did not.

I would advise studying the ballistics to determine if this is a good cartridge for you. If you feel a longer range shot is in store then the trajectory and energy of this cartridge at distance may become a deciding factor in your purchase decision.

·
Registered
654 Posts
I'm lost on how Federal can call this a .338 Federal somewhat implying they thought this up on their own. Give credit to the wildcatters
and especially to the first person to publish about this idea should anyone have access to older literature and perhaps find this person's writing.

This is a good idea and I hope it does well in the marketplace. Personally, I have long wondered why the .338-06 did not get "its place in the sun" as it has been a great wildcat cartridge for many years and deserved more publicity/acceptance.

Anyway, congrats to Federal for bringing this idea to the mainstream
purchasers of firearms and ammo. Maybe this fall we will see a larger number of manufacturers chambering products for this round.
Cuz they were willing to put up the expense to develope the round for commercial production, (basically getting that testing and data for SAMMI) not to mention getting a firearms mfg. to produce rifles for it. It's no different than others such as the .25-06 and your mentioned the 7-08.
It's just not the norm for ammo companies to do this is all. Usually it the firearms mfg's. that instigate such.

Dave

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
I don't get it. Might as well throw the bullets............. Flame suit on, let her rip.
Well I totally don't understand the above comment?

But anyway, I bought a Ruger Hawkeye in .338 Federal last summer. I really like it. Acurracy is pretty good (good enough). The recoil is not bad (less than a .300 win mag for sure), and not really much worse than a .308. Unfortunately, I didn't get to try it out on a deer this year - I couldn't find a deer that wanted to volunteer. My general impression is very favorable. I have the Nikon BDC on mine and it seems to do well out to 200 yards. Range wasn't long enough to test further. Based off the little I have played with it, I think it is going to be a great round. It seems like a very sensible round in todays bigger is better world!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts