close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

.338 on a moose

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Todd Burton, Jun 27, 2002.

1. Todd Burton

Todd Burton G&G Newbie

I just found out that I was lucky enough to draw a moose permit, my question is this: What load and slug combo's do you think will work the best on a moose? I'm either going to shoot a new M77 in .338 or a Rem 700 in .338. I hand load myself, but haven't took anything with the Ruger. Those of you that have a M77 in a 338, what loads work best in your guns? Thanks very much, in advance, for any replies.
    -Todd

2. jerry

jerry Since 2002 Forum Contributor

USA
    I'm not going to BS you and claim to be some .338 expert or moose hunti'n expert. but just to get you a responseout here; the .338 is plenty of gun. the 06 is as far as that goes. the speer 250 gn grand slam would do. any factory ammo off shelf will work. find what your gun likes they are all different. even someone elses M77 may be quite different in what it likes. practice a lot, ouch.

3. Todd Burton

Todd Burton G&G Newbie

Thanks for the reply Jerry. I have been reloading for this .338 since January, so I have some idea of what the gun likes and dislikes. Yes, it does have a bark to it, but if you where a heavy jacket it is tolerable. I could borrow a Rem .350 mag from my dad. Now your really talking OUCH!
    -Todd

4. jerry

jerry Since 2002 Forum Contributor

USA
    good luck hunting, I seen those Meese all over Alaska when I stayed in Fairbanks one month.