Gun and Game Forum banner

.338 RUM or .340 Weatherby Mag?

16K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  Magnumsrule 
#1 ·
Need some feedback on these 2 guns.

With factory loads the Weatherby seems to shoot a bit harder and faster, but I have been told the RUM can shoot much harder than what factory loads provide.

Anyone know where I can find some hotter RUM rounds and if so do they hurt the performance of the gun?

Also, does anyone know what the barrel life on these guns are?

Finally bottom line.. which do you think is the better gun and why?

Thanks!

#2 ·
Hodgdon,s has some pretty hot loads if you go to their site.I doubt that you will outlast the barrel.In working with both at max loads we found little difference.There is considerable difference when you go to the .338-378 Weatherby. sam.

#3 ·
Point of view . . . .

My preference would be for the Weatherby.
This is a well established cartridge in the marketplace. I feel it will stay viable in the marketplace so, while not exactly affordable, Weatherby cases and dies will remain available to the handloader. Taking a look at the ballistics will let you know this is "powerful enough" by most people's standards (at least by my standards anyway). Also, as you may know a longtime observation of the Weatherby cartridges concern their overbore design yet the .340 Weatherby is generally regarded as the best balanced of the Weatherby line. However, this is a forum and you will get other opinions. It is up to you to make the decision that is right for you.

#4 ·
I would go with the Weatherby, it is much more feasible than the RUM, it's been on the market for 40+ years, while the RUM on the other hand, isn't quite as established, and isn't as common as the Weatherby. Having said all that, have you looked into the .338 Win Mag? It is much more common than either the Weatherby or the RUM, and can easily handle any game in NA, while it may not have the "paper ballistics" that they do, it will kill game animals just as dead, and is much more affordable.

#6 ·
Thanks for the replies! I'm glad you mentioned the .338-378, Samuel. It was my #1 pick but the rounds are cost prohibitive.....but... I may still talk myself into going with it.

I guess I should have said this gun is for an open gun target competition @100, 250, 500 and 1k yards.

If I am solid enough with which ever gun I go with, it will become my moose/elk gun.

#7 ·
I have a .340 Weatherby and absolutely LOVE it! I did put a muzzle brake on to tame the recoil. I tend to shoot 200gr bullets and the brake backs it down to about a 7mag.

The Weatherby Mark V is a great action for this cartridge, too. It's built to handle the pressure (not saying other actions won't). But this is a great round. It's probably better suited for western, larger game, but I've used it on whitetails here in the South (of course I like killing ants with a slegehammer, etc)

I have no experience with the .338RUM and I'm sure it's a good round. But to me, it was developed and marketed solely to rival the .340 Weatherby. While many will try to compare the Remington to the Weatherby to justify its existence, you don't have to compare the Weatherby to anything - it stands on its own merit. When's the last time someone had to defend the quality of a Weatherby?

#8 ·
magnums

both of those calibers sound like overkill whether target shooting or hunting. especially hunting anything in North America. less recoil like a .308, 7mm-08 make a better target shooting round and a whole lot less bruised on the shoulder not to mention half moon marks on around your eyes.:scool:

#9 ·
You may be right felix.... I have considered scaling down to a 7mm RUM. I have ALOT of research left to do... and many more comments from good people like all of you.

also... everyone talks about recoil being a problem, from what understand the recoil energy of a .338-378 is about the same as a 12 gauge 3 inch mag. I'll easily shoot 50 rounds of 12 gage mag and have no problems. Is my comparison of the 12 gauge mag and the .338-378 misinformed?

I am 6'3 and about 280 btw... that helps tame recoil a good bit : )

#10 ·
You may be right felix.... I have considered scaling down to a 7mm RUM. I have ALOT of research left to do... and many more comments from good people like all of you.

also... everyone talks about recoil being a problem, from what understand the recoil energy of a .338-378 is about the same as a 12 gauge 3 inch mag. I'll easily shoot 50 rounds of 12 gage mag and have no problems. Is my comparison of the 12 gauge mag and the .338-378 misinformed?

I am 6'3 and about 280 btw... that helps tame recoil a good bit : )
The 12 guage would have to be firing slugs to come close.. check out this link Rifle Recoil Table

#11 ·
Keep in mind, you'll be probably be shooting from a bench or prone and recoil definitely becomes an issue for most guys. I'd suggest backing down to a .300 Win. Mag. as barrel life and recoil will be much more manageable.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.