Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yup, I'm actually doing it. Rebarreling an AKM for 35 Remington. An honest to goodness freakish caliber conversion. The gas system was evaluated for a design project for a Thermal Systems optimization course. So that's what I did on a couple weekend trip this past semester. The rest is basic AK building. though I'm debating ho wto design the mag system and receiver. If I stick to 357 pistol bullets I can use AR-15 magazines, and would likely use a milled aluminum receiver of my own design with inserted steel rails. Or I might go for a Tapco flat, or a stamped receiver of my own design. Oh decision sdecisions. As much as I'm redesigning about this, I'm not even sure I can still call it an AKM. Maybe BRAK (BattleRifleAK)? Naw. AK-35? I'm open to suggestions.

In the meantime here are some pics of the front end. The barrel is from a Marlin 336, bought from Numrich. The gas block and lower section for the rear site are milled aluminum. I was hesitant to use aluminum for the gas block, but it's overdesigned enough that I think it's a safe bet. I'll shape it a little bit to match a one-piece handguard that I'll eventually design and install.

When trying to optimize the length of the gas system, it seemed that for a 20" barrel, the AMD length is best. If I shortened the barrel to 16", a Krink length system would probably be best. So if I ever go into the gun business you might see a thumbhole 20" version for hunting and a 16" Krink type with folder. Or I might do it just for myself.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Gotta give you credit for taking on some complex projects!

That buttsock for the 308, along the top side, is that horizontal line wood grain or are you planning on a FAL/M76 combo?

·
Registered
12 Posts
That's a sweet Kalashnikov! (Don't mind me, I'm just trying to earn brownie points because I'm a newb, lol). Btw, what is the base cartridge for the .35 Remington? I'd call your Ak the Akm35.

·
Registered
11,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I believe 35 Remington has no prior base cartridge. It was introduced as part of a family for the Rem Model 8 autoloader early in the century. All anemic by today's standards, but that was all that early autoloader could handle. Actually I think the others, like the 32 Rem and 30 Rem had a different rim size. I think the 30 Rem is the parent for the new 6.8mm Rem SPC.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts