Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
11,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone use this caliber at all? I've considered looking into reboring an SKS or AK and wonder if anyone has experience with the cartridge. Accuracy Systems Inc rebarrels Mini-30s for it, but that's a little pricey for me.

· Registered
11,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My reasons exactly. Less penetration, higher knockdown. Ability to use the variety of 9mm, 357, and 358 caliber bullets available. All it would take is rebarreling or reboring.

· Registered
11,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was hoping someone here might know that too. I 'd assume you'd adapt 7.62x39mm cases. Dies may be expensive. But, after the initial expenses are done, reloading costs would be normal.

· Registered
11,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yep, it was the Russian 9x39mm cartride that inspired me. And yes, I was thinking of the non-lined Yugo for that application. Only problem is installing enough US parts to do the other things I'd want to it. Anyone know if reboring would kill its C&R status?
And anyone know if TAPCO's US made piston will fit? The tube won't.
Funny thing is that reboring it would cost more than the rifle itself. The tough part would be deciding what grade of rifle to use. Being a project, I would think the lowest grade would be the way to go. But if I want it to be a quality piece after reboring, I'd want a higher grade.
Oh well. Not like I can afford it anyway. Or ammo for it.

· Registered
11,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The thought isn't as much stopping in the intruder as stopping in the plaster and wood. The 9mm pistol bullets could include hydrashoks and hollowpoints, which aren't designed for wood-boring. Also, the 9mm bullets would have a much greater impact on the intruder. Not that 7.62 wouldn't, but a 9mm hydrashok travelling at 7.62 velocities would be quite an effective round. Not that I'm real eager to use it anyway, just something neat to have. Which is why I'm not sinking my last dollars into it.

· Registered
11,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have yet to hunt, but definitely plan to when I get the chance. I'm hoping to do some penetration tests some time soon, because everyone has different ideas about what penetrates how much.

In any case, if I ever used a thirty caliber rifle for defense, I'd try to shoot at as low an angle as possible so that the bullet would go into the ground after the evil villain.

· Registered
11,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Actually, the 7.62x39 or 350x39 wouldn't likely be for much hunting. In Pennsylvania, you can't hunt with semi-autos. For hunting I'm planning to get a 300 Remington Ultra Magnum. For long range marksmanship, penetration tests, and other stuff, I'd use full loads. For Whitetail, I'd load down to 300 Win Mag or 30-06 levels.
The 350x39 (or 9x39) would primarily just be used on targets of all varieties, maybe for certain hunting expeditions, and if absolutely necessary, for defense.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.