Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
181 Posts
Its always the money. What is the reason for having it in 9mm again? It would definately overpenatrate anyway. Maby some fragmenting balistic tiped 7.62 would break up good enough for safe home use? Probably not though. Oh well we can always dream can't we.

· Registered
181 Posts
Do you hunt? My .270 blows 4" holes in the coyotes I shoot so at rifle velocity it real dont matter what diameter the bullet is. Anyway The bullet would travel through many houses at 7.62 velocity mabe only 2 houses instead of 3 or 4 or five with the 7.62

· Registered
181 Posts
Actualy bullets fired into game tend to not go where you expect. So you have never actualy shot a animal? What kind of hunting do you plan to do? White tail deer? Well I think the 7.62X39 is not the most ideal gun for the job but it works on midsize deer out to 100 yards. And shot placement is the key. Anyway I onece shot a coyoted from behind with a 7.62 fmj, Actualy it was my last round after my friend fired 5 soft point shells(runing shot) and hit it in the leg. All that was on me was 1 fmj. Well the thing was slowly getting away and Then I loaded the shell and fired well he died right there up one end and out the other more less.
I have shot some dear with the 7.62X39 and it works all of them droped on the spot but I like the .270 because it can handle the bigest of them and out to 400-500yards at that.

· Registered
181 Posts
Oh the penatration is not somthing to worry about even with a 7.62X39 as long as the bullet expands and will not fly apart it will go thrugh the vitals of most dear at any angle except when shooting from the rear. Use good soft points and not balistic tip or hollowpoint. Good luck and make the first shot count!!

· Registered
181 Posts
Can't hunt with a semi autos??? We can here in canada. You have a 300 rum? Would you not loose accuracy loading that down? Anyway I would use full power loads, just use a tough bullet that will not fly apart. You will not have much meat left if you use normal soft point ammo on a dear. Penatration tests? What are you planing to hunt? elephant? Explain these penatration tests more? Are you going to use balistic gel?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.