Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The 357 mag is not legal for deer / big game here in Calofornia , and it definitly would not be my first choice. But a heavy load in a 6" or 8" bar. revolver or better yet a lever gun would seem pretty efective , or at least as efective as the pointy sticks we can shoot at them during bow season ( this is not a knock against bow hunting). Anyone out there used a 357 for deer in the states that aloow it?

·
Registered
148 Posts
I have shot deer w a 357 but I was always really close, and small tender deer! I used both revolver and rifle. It is a great handgun round but mediocre rifle round. The "new" Henrys in 357 sure are fun, though, if the magnums aren't too long to feed through the carrier.

·
Registered
11,239 Posts
Not a good idea but . . . .

Not a good idea but I did have an uncle (deceased in the 1970's) who did take deer with a .357 Colt Python 6" barrel when close distance allowed.
Personally, I feel the .357 is just not the best choice for this game.

·
Registered
923 Posts
I used a 6.5" Ruger Blackhawk for 3 years in NC. Figured why carry a long gun when my shots were less than 50 yds. Worked great, actually cant even remember one running after being hit, usually just dropped.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, I knew there were some people out there that have made it work when the shots were close, and Im sure it would put down the little blacktail deer in my area at close range ( if it were legal to use) , but I would still rather use a real rifle cartridge.
Chasing wounded animals thru the forrest is not my idea of hunting, but the 357 is one heck of round that can do a lot of things when you need it too.
Goodnight folks, and thanks again for your feedback.

·
Since 03-15- 2002
27,587 Posts
I use one for back up while slug gun hunting. I would not hesitate to take a shot in the VITALS at typical BOW range 25-35 yards.

When the 30-30 came out the numbers ran something close to 170 grain bullet at 1990 fps. From a rifle the .357 can sling a .35 cal bullet at about 2000 fps. Almost same weight larger dia.

·
Banned
623 Posts
I have shot deer w a 357 but I was always really close, and small tender deer! I used both revolver and rifle. It is a great handgun round but mediocre rifle round. The "new" Henrys in 357 sure are fun, though, if the magnums aren't too long to feed through the carrier.
I'm curious as to why you'd vote it a mediocre rifle round. Are you meaning there are MANY better rifle rounds to use? As good as it might be in revolver form, any round satisfactory for use in a revolver would be better out of a rifle. So, are you simply saying it's decent as handguns(cartridges) go...but not as effective as most other typical deer cartridges in carbines? Just curious. Thanks.

·
Registered
675 Posts
I don't but it's legal in Kansas. I once hunted with a group where one guy had a 44 mag. He was in a line blocking with me and damn near shot me when a deer ran by him. He gut shot the deer and I almost shot him.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
I use one for back up while slug gun hunting. I would not hesitate to take a shot in the VITALS at typical BOW range 25-35 yards.

When the 30-30 came out the numbers ran something close to 170 grain bullet at 1990 fps. From a rifle the .357 can sling a .35 cal bullet at about 2000 fps. Almost same weight larger dia.

YES! The .357 really likes longer barrels, reloading manuals that give data for it from a lever action rifle will shock you. It is indeed close to the 30-30 in weight and velocity, but with a bigger bullet. Same with the .44 magnum, carbine length barrels make it take off.

·
Freedom Zealot
33,733 Posts
I have shot 2 whitetails with a ruger .357. One from about 20ft., the other about 25-30yds. Neither went far. Both died!

·
Registered
987 Posts
It is legal in Alabama and I do hunt with my 6 1/2" Ruger Blackhawk. I have a 4x32 scope on it and find it easier to use in a tree stand than a rifle. A tree stand shot is usually around 20 to 50yds which is well within reach of a .357mag, and a hit from a 158gr SJHP is hard to live thru. Also, Hornady's new "Leverlution Flex-Tip ammo should increase the usable ange of the .357mag and the .44mag.

·
Registered
528 Posts
The 357 mag is not legal for deer / big game here in Calofornia , and it definitly would not be my first choice. But a heavy load in a 6" or 8" bar. revolver or better yet a lever gun would seem pretty efective , or at least as efective as the pointy sticks we can shoot at them during bow season ( this is not a knock against bow hunting). Anyone out there used a 357 for deer in the states that aloow it?
This is interesting to me because I have a friend who guides black bear hunts and he uses a 357 mag as his back-up gun and has shot a few of them dead with it. Now you have me curious enough to look it up in the california regulation rule book.

·
Registered
953 Posts
My grand father poached with a 22 so yess a 357 would kill the deer. I dont care if you dont believe me about the 22 but it was the end of the depression and 22 ammo was all he could afford, and poaching was how he fed his family. He was the best shot that I have ever witnessed.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I too have a 6.5 inch Ruger Blackhawk that is with me almost daily. I carry it as a backup deer and bear hunting, and have a .357 Handi Rifle with a Scout scope that I love. But, I have better, more efficient, longer range, certain kill deer rifles. .30-30, .308, 7mm-08, .30/06 and .45-70. Is it supposed to be "cool" to take game with the smallest possible bullet?? My .45-70 weighs the same as my .357, and all the rest of them. My .357 will not slam dunk a deer. Pick it up and throw it over backwards dead. That's why I don't use it on deer. I don't have a death wish, so I don't use it on bear either.

·
Sir Loin of Beef
16,717 Posts
I have hunted small game up to Javalina pigs with a 357 mag with good results. I have taken a few deer at ranges up to 75 yards with a very similar round the 38-40. Took them cleanly. But, I must say I chose my shots very well.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts