Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I came across one of these, its a 7.5 inch. I love this Gun it is massive in its construction and I know they don't make them anymore, but I was wandering if they are rare, and how long did Ruger make them? (in 357 magnum) I have yet to find another.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the link Oxford, I went and looked under redhawk and then checked my gun for a serial number, I couldn't find one and it puzzled me then I remembered that it is on the bottom of the grip part of the frame and I have aftermarket grips on it. I felt like a monkey scratching my head for a minuite. I will have to check into that later. I saved the link and that will at least let me know when mine was made.

·
Registered
17,218 Posts
Big Jake...at the bottom of screen, when the link opens up, there is an 800 phone number for free information regarding Ruger's serial numbers and their manufacturing date. I haven't called them...but it looks like a good place to check, too. At least, it wouldn't hurt to find out.

My 4 5/8" Stainless Steel Ruger .357 Mag was made in 1985, according to the chart, and has had aftermarket rubber pachmayr Presentation Grips installed by a previous owner. Check out the following link:

http://www.chuckhawks.com/pachmayr_grips_syn.htm

Have fun and good shooting. :target:
Ox

·
Registered
1 Posts
If anyone is interested I have a ruger redhawk .357 in Stainless Steel with a 5 1/2" barrel that is in great shape for sale. It has been fired twice in the last 22 years. I am open for offers. You can contact me at [email protected]. it is stargazer underscore tulsa
Thankz

·
Banned
10,852 Posts
I came across one of these, its a 7.5 inch. I love this Gun it is massive in its construction and I know they don't make them anymore, but I was wandering if they are rare, and how long did Ruger make them? (in 357 magnum) I have yet to find another.
If it's in good shape I'd keep it just as a collection type gun. Plus, sounds like it would be a lot of sun to shoot.

·
Registered
6 Posts

I have the same setup. The story I've been told is when Dirty Harry came out in the mid '80's EVERYONE wanted the .44 magnum, so Ruger discontinued the .357 and focused production on the .44's. The .357's had a very short run, 1 year, maybe 2.

If you have a stainless redhawk in .357 Mag, you have a somewhat rare piece. Mine unfortunately does not have the scope mount option. I haven't needed a scope for pig and javalina hunting, but for long shots on the range, my eyes just can't adjust to the front sight and target anymore. Just a blurry mess.

It's a beautiful firearm, and if it wasn't already showing it's age, I'd lock it up in a glass case. Good luck with your research and please post your results. I'd like to see what you find out.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
I don't believe Dirty Harry had anything to do with Ruger's phasing out the Redhawk in .357 Mag as Dirty Harry came out in the early 70's... and I know I bought my .357 Redhawk 5.5" New somewhere around 83 or 84.
Actually I believe the biggest reason that the .357 version of the Redhawk was discontinued when it was is because of the introduction of the GP-100 - more a matter of not enough demand for both.
All I know is that I'll never get rid of mine, It's been my primary ready to go Home Defense gun for over 25 years and I doubt that that will change anytime soon.

·
Registered
1 Posts
would like to buy your 357 magnum redhawk

If anyone is interested I have a ruger redhawk .357 in Stainless Steel with a 5 1/2" barrel that is in great shape for sale. It has been fired twice in the last 22 years. I am open for offers. You can contact me at [email protected]. it is stargazer underscore tulsa
Thankz
Hi Thread, I am new to this site and not so familiar with how it works, but if your Ruger Redhawk 357 magnum has hardwood grips and is of the same general configuration as the 44M redhawks that are currently manufactured, I would like to make you an offer. Could you let me know at what price you would be willing to part with the gun? I am not looking for a "good deal" and would pay generously to obtain the gun. I am becoming a bit of a Redhawk collector and have several of them of various calibres, bbl length, and finishes. I do not have a 357 redhawk and would like to obtain one. As I say, I am new to the site and am not sure exactly how folks exchange messages. You could contact me by email at [email protected]. Or I'll try to check back at this site if I can figure out how to use the site! Thanks! JT

·
Registered
6,534 Posts
IIRC, Ruger dropped phased out both the .357 RedHawk and the Security-Six when the GP-100 was introduced.

I want to get one at some time, that and a snubbie speed six in stainless.

But I've other gun projects to finish out first.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts