Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
here we go, i have a marlin 1894 c with micro groove, shot a few deer at very close (25 yards) give or take killed a nice doe with a spine shot at 40 yards with winchester silver tips (I dont recomend this as a hunting round at the time i was under the impression that a good man stoper would equall a good deer stoper) lost a nice buck at twenty yards from a tall tree stand, cant 158 grn lead remingtons, question is could i load .35 remington rifle bullets for this rig? .35 remington is a tube mag and a more apropriate hunting round could i seat the bullets to chamber in my ruger? i know that if i want a 35 rem buy a 35 rem but i already have this and the thought it may be feasable?

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Use 180gr Hornady XTPs. They work great for deer from a .357 mag. I load them over H-110.

·
Registered
186 Posts
A lot of people (including myself) consider the .357 marginal for deer. But if you can place your shots well enough, use the heaviest bullet that can be safely loaded in that cartidge.

Bear in mind, huck; A 35 Whelan bullet is designed to operate at 35 Whelan velocities; about 1000 fps faster than a 357. At 357 velocities it may not expand the way you want it to. A 170 or 180 grain bullet designed for .357 magnum loads will do what you want.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts