357 sig question

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Cyclops, Aug 1, 2002.

1. Cyclops

Cyclops Guest

I've borrowed a couple of guns in 357 sig & I think I want one. Only problem is, I'd hate to buy a caliber to later see it go the way of the 10mm, 38 super, and 45 super. What do you guys think, is the 357 sig a viable caliber worth investing in?
    By the way, 2 years ago, I trimmed my pistol calibers & sold off my 10mm's, 40's and 38 super. I really don't want to go through that again.

2. Klaus

Klaus Guest

.357 Sig is good. Personally I like .40 better, but the .357 magnum has a very good record and the .357 Sig duplicates it's specs. If the .357 Sig ever becomes unavailable, you can easily switch to the .40 by simply changing the barrel.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2002

3. Logansdad

Logansdad Guest

The .357 Sig is essentially a .40 caliber necked down to 9mm...the case is lengthened to retain overall case length of a .40 caliber...It was supposed to replicate .357 Magnum ballistics while increasing capacity and allowing faster reloads (the two most strident arguments against revolvers)...I'd buy one ...if it becomes a cult cartridge like the .41 Magnum or 10mm...I'd buy another barrel in .40 caliber

4. jerry

jerry Since 03-15- 2002 Forum Contributor

USA
    Klaus speaks with wisdom, the .40 conversion is the ace in the hole for sure. A convertible, if you will.

5. Klaus

Klaus Guest

The .357 Sig is not exactly a necked down .40 . The brass is a bit thicker and it is loaded to higher pressures.

6. NRAJOE

NRAJOE YOU TALKIN' TO ME!? Forum Contributor

Many cops are starting to carry the .357 Sig so I wouldn't worry about it going obsolete. Very good street record with it so far.

7. dave375hh

dave375hh Guest

Logansdad,
    The .357sig case was lengthened to provide more neck tension on the bullet so as to resist bullet set-back during loading or bullet creep from recoil. This was nessesary because the .357 sig headspaces on the case mouth not the shoulder(dumb IMO). In my reloads I'm careful to not set the shoulder back and I use a Redding taper crimp die set to give me a tight crimp. This has so far worked very well with no bullet slip either way.

8. Logansdad

Logansdad Guest

I said "essentially" I didn't want to bore anybody with technicalities...

9. jerry

jerry Since 03-15- 2002 Forum Contributor

USA
    Now,
    some of us like to be bored with the details. With all due respect, never can have enough info.

10. Klaus

Klaus Guest

I did not want anyone to try to make a .357 case from a .40. That is why I clarified your statement. I was not argueing with you, I saw it as a safety issue.

11. Logansdad

Logansdad Guest

we only argue about one thing Klaus...if I don't start, I reckon you won't either...you know we all respect your opinion

12. oneastrix

oneastrix G&G Newbie

TX state troopers all carry .357Sig, as do several members of my own department.