close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

.357 Speculation

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by BattleRifleG3, Mar 15, 2002.

1. BattleRifleG3

BattleRifleG3 Retired Moderator

Ok, this is all ambitious speculation, but...

If some guy came out with a custom production recoil operated carbine in .357 Rem Mag, who out there would be interested, and how much would you pay? Obviously that would depend on the quality, but just a ballpark price?

And would people prefer more of a single piece stocked version or a pistol gripped version?

Any other calibers of particular interest?

2. Uncle Red

Uncle Red G&G Newbie

I have often thought of an M1 carbine chambered for the .357. Think it would be better with a converted M1 mag or set up to take mags from the Desert Eagle? -UR.

3. Calvin

Calvin G&G Newbie

I'm in agreement with Red on this. I would like to see the carbine offered in 357, too. But, as far as a new carbine, I would have to say a straight stock. Somewhere in the $350-425 dollar range. Maybe an intergral scope mount, too? What say?

4. Paul C

Paul C G&G Newbie

I too would like to see a 357 mag carbine. The .44 has done well for Ruger and a .357 would be slick. Although, if I had my 'druthers, I'd rather see Bill and the boys build a .45 to run along side their P series autos, such as the PC9 and PC40.

5. Jack O

Jack O G&G Newbie

Sure would be nice to have it chambered for 357 maximum. Have to be a real hum dinger

6. Peter

Peter G&G Newbie

.357 carbine

How about a .357 SIG carbine? I think a conversion kit for a ruger PC40 to chamber .357 SiG and use glock magazines would be a big seller. I'll order one right now!!

7. .357 Sig carbine

I'd be pretty partial to a .357 Sig carbine myself modeled after some of the Ruger police carbines like the PC 40. The velocities this would produce would be incredible... from a CQB gun to that of a brush gun, it would be great!

I have also read that there is a prototype out of the AR configuration but the magazines are "modified" Uzi mags... and they have been problematic.

I have a SA .357 Sig... and love it... would like it even more if there were a carbine available.

8. 1960's M-1 project

An M-1 carbine chambered for the .357 mag pistol round was done by a few people in the 1960's. I recall reading about it as a teenager. The conversion did not garner the interests of the law enforcement and sporting communities. It might be possible to advertise in a publication such as Shotgun News and get detailed information on this project. Any "start from scratch" attempt at this conversion would naturally incur a great deal of expense for engineering, tooling, purchase of M-1 carbines, labor, etc. However, if you work hard enough you just might find the investor(s) to pursue this conversion. It might work in today's market. On the downside, the major manufacturer's spend a great deal of time and money on marketing research and they have not felt it economically justified to produce a .357 magnum pistol cartridge semi-auto rifle.

9. JSnover

JSnover G&G Newbie

There was a 45 WinMag M1 a while back. Ruger's .44 carbine was a pretty neat package but I got the impression that the high-cap ban was a marketing handicap. Too bad.....

10. jerry

jerry Patriotic Member Forum Contributor

USA
    Welcome fellow blue suiter LarryO1970.:usaribbon:

11. Nice to meet ya Top...

12. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

DID you mean .357 Remington Maximum ???
    There is No .357 Rem Mag....
    Rich

13. BattleRifleG3

BattleRifleG3 Retired Moderator

I've seen 357 frequently listed as 357 Rem Mag.

I've since determined that 357 wouldn't work in a straight blowback carbine. It would have to have some sort of locking system.

14. utahvarminter

utahvarminter G&G Newbie

Utah
    I want a Ruger Deerfield Carbine in 357 mag.

My S&W 27 needs a big bro!

15. When riding, I carry a Blackhawk .357 and was thinking about switching my Marlin 336 .30-30 saddle gun to a Marlin .357 lever gun, but a .357 carbine would be fantastic. These weapons are not for hunting in the way we use them with horses. They are there because of who knows what may happen. You may have to euthanize a horse or chase away a totally unhappy bear, or better, put supper in the pot.