375 H&H

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by vikingpreacher, May 19, 2008.

1. I'm going to get a 375 primarily because I want to. I'm going to either get a Browning A-Bolt Medallion or a TC Encore barrel so it doesn't have to be an "Elephant Gun" all the time. Which would you get?

2. Well, . . . .

. . . . congrats on your decision. I have often thought about this but my aversion to recoil leaves me happier with a .243. This is a very
    important, historical cartridge.

Personally, having owned a Browning bolt rifle in the past I would highly recommend it to you. However, this is a forum and you will get other
    opinions.

Good luck and good shooting.

3. SwedeSteve

SwedeSteve Freedom Zealot Forum Contributor

I think the TC Encore is a BRILLIANT idea!

4. Midas

Midas Chief Troll B' Gone Forum Contributor

Neither is a great platform for the .375, because in my opinion, a dangerous game cartridge like the .375 has to have controlled round feed, but of the two, I would get the Browning. Also, I hope you are reloading, because factory ammo starts at about $40.00 a box.

5. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

I am with Midas on this one.Altho I used .375H&H in a pre,64 a lot,it is still a lot of cartridge. sam.

6. SwedeSteve

SwedeSteve Freedom Zealot Forum Contributor

Maybe I looked at this from a completely different view! VP said he was getting a 375 just because he wants one! He didn't say he wanted one to hunt Cape Bufallo. If you're getting a 375 just to have one, then an Encore barrel that allows you to fire a 375 H&H sure seems like a great idea, as opposed to buying a whole new weapon.

7. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

Your thoughts are good but I dont know about weight and possibly extractor.I like a little weight with the .375H&H. sam.

8. Purdy

Purdy G&G Evangelist

Encore?

Personally I think that a TC encore would be a pretty light gun for a 375H&H but it's your shoulder and your money. (my 375 is a Sako Safari @ 9lbs, but it is very well stocked.)

9. AKHunter

AKHunter G&G Newbie

Ruger or build a Mauser,pretty much my standard answer for such a topic :).

10. turner

turner Guest

+1..... But I'd suggest the .375 Ruger instead of the H&H. It's a standard size action and I'd be surprised if Ruger does not follow Remington's idea of some lower powered loadings for deer, elk and moose to go along with the heavy 270 and 300gr loadings. Good Luck!

11. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

The Encore chambers for both the .375 and .416rem mag,but I see the weight is 6lbs 14oz,s.While that might be fine for you young bucks,and I dont care how hard you get kicked,I would really rather have a little more weight and take a little more time getting into position.Altho the rifle was stolen, as I recall the M70 I had was about 10lbs stripped.I think it was about 12lbs scoped and loaded.I was a lot better man back then.The smallest deer type animal I shot with it was an antelope that ranbetween 75 and 125yds.Cant remember exactly.It did surprise me that he ran as I had shot maybe 6 mulies that virtually died in their tracks and never had elk,moose,or bear(griz)move far enough to consider.I loved that gun and never really replaced it altho I have had hundreds of firearms since.It is hard to believe a grown,inteligent man can have such feelings for something made of steel and wood,but it was like the rifle had feelings for me too.oh well,life goes on. sam.

Last edited: May 20, 2008
  12. Midas

Blasphemy!

13. If you can get a ruger, get one. I would suggest a .375 ruger like others have said. But Ruger make .375 H an H also.

14. turner

turner Guest

Did you talk badly about the .308 as well...lol. Had to ask....

15. Midas

That was billy ;)