Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
11,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed lately that 375 RUM ammo is less expensive than 300. Probably supply/demand. But I got to looking at ballistics and started being impressed by the trajectory of the 375, all things considered. Thinking this could be a good "do everything" round that doesn't fail at anything a 300 RUM can do, and can do a few other things better as well.

I'm looking at potentially rebarreling a 300 RUM Savage. I now have 300 Win mag and more options in 308 and 30-06, so upgrading the long magnum has its appeal.

· Registered
6,300 Posts
It's why the 375 H&H is so popular in Africa, it can take all game as effectively as a 30-06 but do things the 30-06 could never do. From Springbok to Elephant it'll do everything. That said, the 375 RUM is just more of that same dynamic.

Nothing says you can't reduce the loads either, have at it and enjoy. I've also got some 0.375" sierra bullets if you decide to go that route.

· Registered
11,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's my thinking, 338RUM. I've heard anecdotally that keeping a relatively typical velocity but going up in bullet weight can be a win-win, where the impact isn't any more explosive, but the deep damage is decisive. Specifically the 375 H&H, just as you've said. They say it damages less meat on a PA whitetail than a 7mm Rem Mag, if I remember correctly.

· Registered
466 Posts
Almost like shooting an artillery round from the shoulder... I'll pass. o_O
Is it? Are you just sayin or have you tried it? Asking cause I tried buddies 416 Rigby and honestly not that big a deal. In fact, fun to shoot, liked so much almost wanted to get one just cause. Maybe 375 RUM sends sharper impact to shoulder than those bigger cartridges? Sometimes that happens. Probably worst I ever shot was a featherweight 300 WM.

· Registered
6,300 Posts
That's my thinking, 338RUM. I've heard anecdotally that keeping a relatively typical velocity but going up in bullet weight can be a win-win, where the impact isn't any more explosive, but the deep damage is decisive. Specifically the 375 H&H, just as you've said. They say it damages less meat on a PA whitetail than a 7mm Rem Mag, if I remember correctly.
I'll concur on meat damage, my 416 Rigby is an absolute baby on meat, it doesn't blood shoot meat like a 270 or 300 WM at all. I say do it, it's more than you need for PA Whitetail but so is my 416 Rigby, but those PA deer don't seem to notice.

· Registered
9,359 Posts
Is it? Are you just sayin or have you tried it?
Fair question - the 300 WM was enough for me - recoil was miserable and I was a young man in my early 20s and in great shape. Fast forward a bunch of years and I decided to buy a 300 WSM after reading about it. It is a dream to shoot and I don't need to go any larger for North American game for what I might ever plan on hunting.

· Registered
9,584 Posts
If you're shooting factory rounds then it's going to beat the shoulder pretty good. As a reloader you can download anything to the point where it's not terrible. You could always have a muzzle break installed on it to help tame it down a bit.

I think the 375 H&H is one of the most versatile cartridges in the world. The bullets are a bit to heavily constructed for thin game such as deer and that's probably why there is little to no damage to the meat.

I knew a guy who carried a Winchester Model 70 in 375 H&H deer and Elk hunting when I was younger. His argument was it did everything. He had lived in Alaska growing up and it was the only rifle he had.

I have a Ruger Hawkeye African model in 375 Ruger. It's one of my favorite rifles. I worked up a load with a 300gr Sierra Game King moving along at 2750fps. I took it to Colorado to hunt Elk as I wanted to blood the rifle. Never saw a legal bull that week so it had to wait. It got it's day though when I shot a wild Angus Bull that was about 1200lbs. It did a great job in putting him down.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts