Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love arguments like this...Say a Sig Sauer model 232 in .380 ACP against a Smith & Wesson J Frame snubnose revolver...I don't want to hear any idiotic .45 ACP nonsense either..:target:

·
Registered
781 Posts
What a silly question. The 38spl is more reliable, more powerful, and holds almost as many.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
.38 Special is the winner here. No contest...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
it's funny that nobody ever points out that John Moses Browning also had a hand in designing the .25 ACP, .32 ACP and .380 ACP cartridges. I wonder if it's a conspiracy from the .45 ACP fans

·
Registered
322 Posts
I like both. I have to say I have more .380s than 38 specials but there is a home for both. For me personally I carry the .380 more but my house guns are usually 38 specials since I live in an apartment and don't want to go through wall after wall after wall.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I thought that ACP stood for:

"Awww, Crap! Phillipinos!"

(A reference to the Moros' alleged role in the adoption of .45 ACP. Phillipinos need not get upset.)

.38 Special, no contest. If there were not so many decent, inexpensive .380 pistols available, then .380 would have died off in the US by now. Back in the day, it had an advantage in that .380s were just as small as a .32, but much more powerful. Now, there are several 9mms on the market that are as small (or even smaller) than a PP/PPK clone.

No one points out Browning's role in the development of 9mm Browning Long, .38 ACP, .25 ACP, or .32 ACP because they are either a) already obsolete and virtually unknown today OR b) well on their way to obscurity. Currently, most manufacturers only offer one .25 ACP load, if any.

·
Registered
8,921 Posts
38 special is good in a small revolver or in a small 357 if you don't want a but recoil. the 380 serves its purpose as a light weight defense pistol round in a small flat gun. I carry 357's 45's 9mm and 40 and all are great and would trust my defense to either or all

·
YOU TALKIN' TO ME!?
21,220 Posts
Originally posted by logansdad
I love arguments like this...Say a Sig Sauer model 232 in .380 ACP against a Smith & Wesson J Frame snubnose revolver...I don't want to hear any idiotic .45 ACP nonsense either..:target:
.45ACP....:gangster: :D

·
Registered
1 Posts
"Three .45 caliber casings were also located near the scene of the murder. The presence of these casings, along with eyewitness evidence, suggests a second shooter was positioned across the street from Cotton. However, it is undisputed Cotton was shot with a .380 caliber gun. " - Taken from here.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
John Browning was a genius gun designer, he was not a gunfighter. He designed some real nice mouse guns, none of which I would use in a gunfight.

·
Banned
1,085 Posts
The .380 produces slightly more power than a .38 Spec out of a snubby.

The belief that revolvers in general are more reliable than auto loaders is urban legend.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts

Check again Mitch, I'm pretty sure that's wrong. The .380 is a 90 grain bullet at around 900 fps , .38 Special with a heavier 125 grain should get the same velocity, give or take. A 158 grain bullet may do 800 FPS, that's got to have much more energy than the .380 can deliver in any load.

·
Registered
11,239 Posts
Well, . . .

. . . . each cartridge has a long history and the facts are many shooters over the decades have chosen the .38 special as the preferred cartridge of the two.

This is not to say the .380 ACP is without merit. However, it is a cartridge that has never gained a great level of popularity even among
semi-auto fans. It has, however, hung on with enough demand to stay in production.

So, if I were you I would listen to the lesson of history.

·
Banned
1,085 Posts
Check again Mitch, I'm pretty sure that's wrong. The .380 is a 90 grain bullet at around 900 fps , .38 Special with a heavier 125 grain should get the same velocity, give or take. A 158 grain bullet may do 800 FPS, that's got to have much energy more than the .380 can deliver in any load.
The .38 Spec was made for at least 4" of barrel. It loses a considerable amount of velocity in a 2" bbl. +P ammo can make some difference, but many snubbies are not +P rated)

Here are some snubby ballistics:

.38 Special Snubnose Ballistics

and the .380:

Remington.com - Products - Ammunition - Ballistics

For comparison, see the 110 grain .38 Spec velocities at about 860 fps. vs the .380 102 grain at 940 fps.

For reference, the .38 Spec with a 110 grain bullet from a 5" bbl. travels at 950+/- fps.

Remington.com - Products - Ammunition - Ballistics

·
Gun Toting Boeing Driver
20,666 Posts
Absolutely hands-down .38 special. More energy and stopping power (unless for some reason you just happen to shoot the 380 oh so much better than the .38). Cor-Bon and Buffalo Bore make good +P rounds, the BB +P 158 GR LSWHP gets better than 950 FPS from a 2" s+w model 40 (most all new .38's are +P rated as well).

The only reason I can see personally for the .380 (other than the James Bond "fun" factor of the PPK) is for pistols like the new Ruger--tiny and flat. I'd rather have a 9mm though.

The belief that revolvers in general are more reliable than auto loaders is urban legend.

Uh. Wrong on both counts

1 - 20 of 50 Posts