Gun and Game Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6,259 Posts
Yep. I bought 10 boxes of them about July of 2020, even after covid started. I said above they were about $14 per box, I was wrong. They were $12.54, per 50 wish I have bought more from Sportsmans Guide. In fact there were not delivered for months until Oct 17th, at least they honored the deal and with free shipping. Here is the data from my account.

Sellier & Bellot, .380 ACP, FMJ, 92 Grain, 500 Rounds with .50 Caliber Ammo Can

Delivered 10/17/2020N/A1$125.39Non-returnabl

I have ordered from J and G for years, including guns. At one time they were the importer for the Zastava mini Mauser. I got one in 7.62 x 39 with the Manlicher stock. Have not seen them anywhere in the last few years. A 7.62 bolt gun is a neat one to have, at least when we had cheap Russian ammo. I bought other guns through them also.

Anyway, that J and G price does not include shipping which is $25.49 so the actual price is about 43 cents then with tax 47 cents each. I bought 380 at Bass Pro a few months ago for $21 per box with al limit of 5.

I will just reload what I have and try to stop my Bass Pro and catch them in stock. I have 3 lady family members that I supply the 380 for. So, basically, I bought the exact ammo in July 2020 for $12.50 per box and the J and G price is $25.49 with shipping so they are about double still. And much more everywhere elsewhere. But when Bass Pro has it, it is $21. So, no value for me to order online. Other deals from Bass Pro were not too bad. I also got 9mm for $21 and 45 for $30 both brand names, federal I think on both.

When.I keep hearing that price is coming down on ammo I just have a hard time believing it. Just look at the
SG ammo site today and look at things like 30-30 and 30-06, . 30-06 Federal generic Power Point $40 box. 30-30 Federal standard ammo $40 box. 30-06 Springfield Cartridge | SGAmmo.com These are the $20 ammo you normally find at Walmart. And 7mm mag Federal loaded with generic Sierra Gameking, $56 box? 20 Round Box - 7mm Rem Mag 165 Grain Sierra Gameking Federal Premium Ammo - P7RE | SGAmmo.com Premium ammo loaded with the bear claw is $ 70 box.

Just saying, I do not see prices coming down. Hunting ammo appears to still be at double the price of normal times.

With inflation running at 6% and ammo prices double, I guess we all just need a big pay raise. Oh wait, I am retired and the numbers are fixed. LOL Back to casting bullets and reloading and lots of 22 long rifle.

I agree a x39 bolt gun would be a really neat gun to have.

I have also largely stopped buying ammo online, mostly due to shipping costs. IF I can find it locally, its almost always cheaper than buying online. I've been able to find .2235.56 and 9mm pretty easily, but .300 blk and .380 ones that sometimes I just have to breakdown and order online as i cant find them around me.

I have pretty much stopped shooting .380. i have a few boxes and want to keep them. Im actually trying to sell my .380 pistol as i want to go to exclusively 9mm for centerfire handguns.

If i ever get some extra cash to put towards it, I may set up a little reloading station for .300 blk then add 9mm and .223 down the line.

a little bolt gun in .300 blk would also be nice if one reloaded, as you could play around with all sorts of bullet weights and velocities.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
I agree a x39 bolt gun would be a really neat gun to have.

I have also largely stopped buying ammo online, mostly due to shipping costs. IF I can find it locally, its almost always cheaper than buying online. I've been able to find .2235.56 and 9mm pretty easily, but .300 blk and .380 ones that sometimes I just have to breakdown and order online as i cant find them around me.

I have pretty much stopped shooting .380. i have a few boxes and want to keep them. Im actually trying to sell my .380 pistol as i want to go to exclusively 9mm for centerfire handguns.

If i ever get some extra cash to put towards it, I may set up a little reloading station for .300 blk then add 9mm and .223 down the line.

a little bolt gun in .300 blk would also be nice if one reloaded, as you could play around with all sorts of bullet weights and velocities.
The problem with the 380 vs the 9mm is that none of the 9mms are as small as the 380. I came out of law enforcement where I always carried a small second gun and just find them impossible to do without especially in summer time. I have 2 small 9mms, the Glock 43 and the Keltec PF9. I can put the 14.7 ounce Keltec in my jeans front pocket and no one will notice. The slightly bigger Glock will gap open my pocket. The Keltec holds 8, the Glock only 7. Most people will not carry the Keltec because they say it kicks way too much, all the gun writers make that claim. I do not carry it for practice but for real, so I do not worry about a little recoil. My Glock 43 is in the safe, once in a while it goes out, it has night sights and the Keltech does not, so especially in winter it goes along.

In summer we travel and camp a lot. If I happen to be in gym shorts at a camp ground everything will show. I can put the little Ruger LCP 380 in them and at 10 ounces nobody will know. I also carry the 380 as a second gun when my wife does not want to carry hers, most of the time. If we should have a problem, I can just pass it to her. We will always have them as second guns. We both have 9mms as our primary guns. If you have a small 380 you shoot well, I would suggest hanging on to it, I have regretted many times selling trading guns and getting something I did not shoot as well.

As to the 300 BLK. I have two a carbine and a pistol. I got into them before you could buy ammo or brass and made my own by chopping off 223 with a little saw from Harbour Freight. Then sized them to 300 BLK. It was a lot of work and you had to be very precise or they would not feed well. Finally I was able to get Hornady brass about 500 rounds and then factory ammo. That has gone south and it is now all about $1 per round. Then I built a carbine in 7.62 x 39 which I prefer hands down over the 5.56 or the 300 BLK. They say you can load the 300BLK nearly as hot as the 7,62 x 39. Maybe so, but if you compare the Russian made 154 grain ammo to the 150 grain US made 300 BLK, there is no comparison the 7,62 x 39 is just a bunch hotter. I wish I had built the pistol in 7,62 x 39. In fact, I may have to try and do some trading to get there. I have only killed one deer with the 7.62 x 39 and that was with a Mini 30, also a great gun I will have forever. The Rugers do well with regular .308 bullets so you can find bullets to reload anywhere. Then I got the Manclicher bolt gun and have not hunted with it yet. Lately with health issues I only hunt with buddies a couple times per year and they hunt open country. The deer I killed in November was 282 yards. Not going to try a shot like that with these little guys. I do have a suppressor for the 7,62 x 39 carbine so I hope to try it for calling coyotes. If I could only have one AR, it would definetely be in 7,62 x 39.

As to reloading they say you do not save any money, you just get to shoot about 3 times as much. I can reload any 243, 308, 30-06 or even my 257 Weatherby for $1-$1.25 or less and that include premium 257 Weatherby ammo that I can shoot to 3,700 fps and only get 6 inches of drop at 375 yards and still have 1,300 foot pounds of energy. And light recoil about like a 30-06. So, I can reload the best bullet launcher they make that would cost $3-$4 a bullet or more now, just saw the Weatherby Spire point factory ammo for sale at $125 per box of 20 ($6 a round?), yea right. I can load them for $25.

Anyway, check the gun shows for use reloading presses. I have a half dozen, cheap and expensive. I use the cheapest Lee they make 90% of the time and I use Lee dies 90% of the time. Just start slow and get somebody who already loads to show you the ropes, there are little tricks that make it simple and safe. You will also get a big satisfaction of rolling your own.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
I am from San Diego USA. I am an outdoor sportsman who love hunting & camping.
welcome from oklahoma. had a lady friend in San Diego, long ago, made that trip down 405 on Fridays, not good.

Reactions: neophyte
21 - 26 of 26 Posts