close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

4 1903A3's

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by ltcboy, Jul 29, 2002.

1. Gentleman-

I am in the American Legion and to make a long story short our post has 4 1903-A3 rifles. They are in my indefinite posession because I am the only one in the post that knows how to dissassemble and clean them properly. They are used now fow shooting blanks during parades. After disassembling them to clean I realized that they are still quite capable for shooting. The first one was manufactured by Remington in 04-43. The wood is in very good condition, there are no dings or scratches. The serial number is 35589xx. The second one is also a Remington made in 05-43 serial number 38539xx. The wood is in good shape having only a few scratches. The third one also a Remington, serial number 39045xx is in very good shape having only a couple of scratches. The fourth is a Smith Corona, sn# 36812xx. The finish on the wood is different than the other three being almost like a glossy type. The wood has seen some milage having been bumped around and havingsome sratches, and knicks. The front sight is also hooded,as the others are not. All bores are very clean, I should know, I cleaned them. The actions on them are as smooth as butter. The handle very well. I shot them and they all were pretty accurate @ 100yrds.

I guess my question is are they worth anything? I know this sounds like a stupid question, but can any of you '03 nuts tell me anything about them. Is Remington better than Smith Corona?

On the one Remington sn# 38539xx to the left of the FJA stamp is RA then RA in a circle with to cannons, then the letter P. On the bottom of the stock under the trigger guard is a P in a circle. Above the trigger guard are four very small numbers 21 , 24, in a circle, 59 in a triangle,20 in a square. The other Remington sn 355892xx has the circle with the cannons, and the FJA just above the trigger guard on the left hand side. On th bottom above the trigger guard is a 15 and a 7 in small circles, a "+", a "V", and then 27 in a small triangle. The last Remington sn 39045xx has the RA circle with the two cannons and FJA stamp on the left, on the bottom above the trigger guard is a 1 and 8 in small circles, 97 in small box, 4 in a small triangle, under the guard is a P in a circle. On the Smith Corona there is a FJA stamp on the left, on the bottom above the guard is 18 in a small circle,1 in a diamond,and another # I cant read, under the guard is a P in a circle. I looked at all of the bolts and 3 have R or RR stamped on them under the bolt handle , the other has a 1 stamped on it. Dont know if this can give you any clues about these rifles.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2002
  2. Oxford

Oxford G&G Evangelist

Here's a few quesions to consider re: your 03A3.

Itcboy: I've got an 03A3, too and wondered about a few other features that might be on the guns under your control.

1. Does the mag system work properly? Do cartridges load and eject smoothly?

2. Do they have open sights? To my knowledge most O3A3's do.

3. Are they parkerized? What's their condition?

4. Do the storage space metal hinged door in the butt stock work properly?

These and other features you mentioned will affect the current value of the guns. On GunAuction.Com I've found 03A3's ranging from $300 up to $800-$900, all depending upon their condition and originality of features.

Oxford

3. Itcboy: I've got an 03A3, too and wondered about a few other features that might be on the guns under your control.

1. Does the mag system work properly? Do cartridges load and eject smoothly?

2. Do they have open sights? To my knowledge most O3A3's do.

3. Are they parkerized? What's their condition?

4. Do the storage space metal hinged door in the butt stock work properly?

These and other features you mentioned will affect the current value of the guns. On GunAuction.Com I've found 03A3's ranging from $300 up to $800-$900, all depending upon their condition and originality of features.

Oxford

1) Yes they load smoothly

2) The three Remingtons have open sights, the Smith Corona has a sight guard

3) Their finish on the metal is in good condition

4)The hinge on the buttstock works properly.

4. Oxford

Oxford G&G Evangelist

Itcboy: Considering the other information you've given, those rifles should be valued on the upper end of what I estimated, if not higher.

It's surprising that no one else in your Legion had knowledge of how to "dissassemble the guns and clean them properly". Maybe they just didn't want to bother with the work involved. However, I'd consider it a labor of love to get the opportunity to work on them. You're a lucky person and they're losing out the way I see it.

Are they used for ceremonies or kept on display?

Oxford

5. Our post is very small-50 guys at most. About 10-15 attend meetings.We had to do a flad presentation for Memorial Day, the 4th, etc. . I am the Senior Vice Commander and the youngest in the post. The Commander put vasoline all over the bolt action and I told him I would clean the rifles. Ive had them ever since. They told me I am the "keeper of the arms". They all have that gaudy white leather parade sling on them, that is the only drawback to these firearms. The Smith as I told you is a little bit more beat up on the stock than the others. They are great shooters. Hurts my shoulder! They really kick like a mule.

6. Oxford

Oxford G&G Evangelist

That's true of many organizations

That's typical of many organizations. Only a few members do most of the work while the majority stand by and watch or don't even attend meetings. They come up with projects but skip out on doing the work. At least, in your case, you're getting the fun of handling the guns. They're losing out.

Oxford:nod:

7. I know I get to shoot these rifles all the time.