Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
17,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a .357 Magnum 4' Ruger Security Six stainless a couple of days ago. Mainly it was bought for home defense needs, but also as a back-up when deer hunting where I'll be using a Rem 700 in 30-06, or my other favorite, the 03A3.

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,060 Posts
I've had the blued Security Six for several years, and have always been very satisfied. Stainless is a big plus!
It'll take the heavier loads that many lesser revolvers can't handle.

Be sure to clean under the extractor star after shooting. This is one area where a build-up of gunk can cause the cylinder to bind. Unburned powder can lodge under there too.

·
Registered
17,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the coments, guys. :right: I hope to get an opportunity to fire it soon. The other wheel gun I have is a .22 H&R 922...and I'm sure there'll be a major difference in it's kick. :jaw: :nod: :D But...with all that I've heard about the Ruger .357 Mag I'm confident it will be one of my favorite toys. :target:

·
Registered
17,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
pipsqueak...I'm talking about finishing off a deer if it wasn't a clean kill. That would be at very close range...like 6-8 Ft away. Last time I had to use my Remington 8" knife to do the job and swore that would never happen again.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I wasn't mocking you, I am wondering if it would work for hunting
deer. That would not be fun having to slit the throat of a wounded
animal I can understand why you would want a finisher. :insane:

L

·
0 Posts
Jesse said:
One of the best and underrated revolvers ever made!
I don't think it's underrated..everybody always says good things about them

pipsqueak said:
Big dog. How did you get your picture to show up
on the forum?
:lucky:
click on your "user CP" (CP is control panel) click on "Edit Avatar" and go from there

·
Registered
22 Posts
shucks yes it'll do for a finisher, I used a .22 H&R 922 myself for many years as backup gun until it was stolen by my ex brother in law.

Is yours the old octagon barrel as mine was?? Sure miss it, but, they are a PITA to empty and reload. Have to pull the pin and use it to punch the empties out. But, it does have 9 shots.

George

·
Registered
17,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
georgeld...my H&R 922, 9 shot, was originally nickel plated...but since it was more than half worn off I took the time and effort to clean the remainder off and reblue the entire gun.

RE: your question about if mine had an octagonal barrel...No it is round. Didn't know that any were made with octagonal barrels. They must be somewhat older models.

As a "finisher" for deer hunting in Missouri, it is my understanding that it is not legal to use a .22 for deer hunting. I believe the regulation requires a handgun to be at least 9 mm bore or bigger if it is used during deer hunting.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Have one of the SS 4" Security Sixes. One of the best revolvers i've ever had. And yes, it will take deer, but you have to be completely sure of your shotplacement and pick the proper bullet. Mine has done it, but it was close range. Best of luck and dont take any chances at wounding anything, practice and hunt some small game with it first to get really good, than decide if you're good enough to do this once you know what you and the gun can do. Mine would hold a 4" group at 100yds back when i practiced with it at least every other day. But i know i cant do that now.
Paul

·
Registered
17,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If I should use my security six as a "finishing off" gun then I'll be within 15 ft or less. Shouldn't have to worry about missing at that close distance. I would only use my .357 "if" the deer is wounded and on the ground but still alive.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Wanna trade your 4" for my 6" SS Sec Six?

·
Registered
17,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'll pass...but thanks for the offer.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Practical, sorry this answer is so late in coming. Assuming that trade offere was aimed at me, i cant. It came to me from an old friend who made me promise to keep it, and then pass it on when i go, as he did. That gun means a lot, and has saved my bacon on several occasions. I'd love to get a hold of another, but made that promise and cant break it. If i find another, and have the cash, i'll jump on buying it though, so maybe, if you're interested in selling it in the future when i have a few extra bucks, i'd love to. By the way, never even seen a 6", do you have pics of yours?

·
Registered
781 Posts
I'd never sell it. Only trade it for a 4" SS. Pics? Somewhere...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts